Chapter 18: EMPIRE STATE OF MIND

Penelope had went back in her room and I've yet to see Taylor. It's been hours and we were stopped somewhere. Taylor still hasn't left the drivers area yet. I was getting bored so I made my way to drivers area. Taylor was in the passenger seat about to pass out.

I caught his attention motioning him to come with me. He got up and followed me into the, I guess, living room. He wiped his eyes and stretched causing his shirt to lift.

"You tired?" I asked, falling down on the couch.

"Yeah but Chance, the driver, stopped at McDonalds so we can get something to eat." Taylor stated.

"Really? I can't see Penelope eating McDonalds." I said.

"She doesn't. She brought her own food and she doesn't share."

I smiled. Sounded like her.

I followed Taylor off the RV. I looked around noticing how weird this place looked. People were riding horses and the area looked like something the colonist built when they invaded America.

"We're in Pennsylvania." Taylor stated, checking his phone.

I nodded.

We walked into McDonalds. The place was filled with people. There was one thing that caught my attention though. It was filled with white people. In the town where I'm from, the only time you'd see a group of white people was when the schools hockey team was hanging out.

I looked at Taylor who looked a little uncomfortable. He stood closely to me as we waited in line.

"You alright?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I'm okay." He stuffed his hands in his pockets and kept his head down.

Obviously he wasn't.

"What's up, Taylor?" I whispered.

"Nothing don't worry about it."

I looked around. There were several people staring at Taylor. They were making him nervous.

"Do you know these people?" I asked.

Taylor sighed and looked at me, "I'm not prejudice or anything but when I'm the only black person in a room full of white people, I get scared."

I chuckled, they were just as scared as him. I looked around again, noticing an elderly woman clutching her purse to her chest. I noticed a group of two little boys pointing at Taylor and staring. I also noticed a teenage girl, licking her lips at Taylor. I could tell they were stereotyping him. I experienced the same thing when I was adopted into a family of black people.

"They're not going to do anything, Taylor. And even if they did try, I wouldn't let them and neither would Penelope." I assure him, taking his hand from his pocket and intertwining our fingers.

I started getting looks now but I didn't care I was use to it by now.
•••

Taylor and I hopped back on the RV with our food. I placed the bag on the table while Taylor went to go tell the driver to go ahead and drive.

Penelope walked into the room, wearing a silk kimono. She took one look at the McDonalds bag and gagged.

"Absolutely not. McDonalds is not good for you." Penelope said, walking over to me.

I grabbed the bag just before she reached out to take it. I stood up dangling the bag over her.

"I'm hungry." I simply said.

Penelope rolled her eyes, "so what. Are you going to eat shit if you were hungry?"

"Depends on how hungry I am."

"Ew. Give me the food, Max. I'll have the driver stop by Starbucks or something." Penelope held out her hand.

"Are you going to share your food?" Taylor asked, entering the room.

Penelopes green eyes landed on Taylor. She walked over to Taylor.

"This is unhealthy."

"You complain alot." Taylor sighed, taking the bag from me.

"You do not get to leave me for a fat slob, Taylor."

"I'm not fat." I said.

"Yet."

I crossed my arms and watched Penelope try to persuade Taylor to give her the food. What a prideful bitch.
•••

"Mutt, hey."

My eyes fluttered open. I was asleep on the couch with my phone on my chest. I wiped my mouth and sat up. Taylor had suitcases in his hands.

"We're at the hotel."

I stood up and stretched. I grabbed the clothes Penelope brought for me and grabbed my suitcase. We boarded off the RV. Penelope was the last one off, empty handed.

I looked at Taylor who had three suitcases and a bag. I chuckled and grabbed the bag from him, giving him a wink.

"What hotel are we at, Tay Tay?" Penelope asked.

"The Intercontinental New York Barclay." Taylor stated.

"Ooh, my favorite." Penelope said.

I followed Taylor and Penelope who seemed to know where to go. I admired the lobby. It was fucking beautiful. Everyone in the room seemed to ignore it's beauty. I was the only amazed.

"Max, close your mouth honey." Penelope said.

I did as told. We stopped at the counter. Behind it was a young black woman. She gave us a warm smile.

"How may I help you?" She asked all preppy like.

"A-"

"Is your penthouse available?" Penelope asked, interrupting Taylor.

The girl typed stuff on her computer before replying, "yes it is."

"We'll take it."

"Would you like breakfast with that?"

"Yes."

I raised my eyebrows in confusion.

"They take breakfast up to the penthouse." Taylor whispered to me.

"Okay. How long are you staying here?"

"A couple of-"

"A week."

"That'll be $5978."

I felt lightheaded all of a sudden. I would never pay that much for a hotel room. This penthouse better come with life insurance or something.

Nonetheless, Taylor payed and we headed to the penthouse. Penelope opened the door and waltzed inside. I walked in after her.

•••
WORD COUNT:948