Vintage

~*~

"We are in Brooklyn," Asteria answered my question a while ago, breaking the awkwardness between us.

Before this strange thing happened, I booked an emergency flight to Brooklyn to visit my sick grandmother.

I never thought or expected any of this.

Before leaving for my flight, I saw my boyfriend was cheating with my best friend. We got into a fight and broke up with him, not just with him but also my friendship with my dear best friend.

"But back in 1958," She added.

"What?" I looked at her, clueless.

She walked in front of me and offered me her hand. I don't know what's with me but I accepted it without any hesitations. Her hand feels warm and smooth.

"Come with me. I'll show you," She dragged me out of the bed, lightly pulling me across the room towards the door.

Behind her were a trail of stardust, following her  as it lightly fall from her body. For a split second, my peripheral vision saw a glimpse of my reflection. I stopped on my tracks and raked my eyes on my look in a human-sized mirror.

My hair was slightly wavy with the ends turned under in a soft roll thats give a little volume. I looked like Marilyn Monroe except my hair is vibrant auburn. I am wearing a classic deep green seville floral half sleeve swing dress paired with a nude V-shaped cut pumps.

I looked like a bombshell. So different from the broken and messy girl I know—as if I've never been in a break up lately. My cheeks were the color of the sky during sunset, my lips were red roses in full bloom.

"Why do I look like this?" I asked Asteria.

"To blend in," She answered nonchalantly.

When we got outside, I discovered we were on a apartment which stood briefly across on a busy street. I gasped in surprise. Under a dark purple sky, dotted brightly by the shining stars with a crescent moon shapely like a Cheshire cat smile was a fascinating sight of the city.

I blinked twice, astounded.

I looked around me, still couldn't believe what I am seeing. Fancy old styled boutiques, stores, restaurants and apartments surrounded us. Luxurious muscle cars and trolley car were passing by as some people busily walk on the street side illuminated by a lamp post and buildings' light that pass through in its windows.

The people were styled fancily—like me. It's like they are all walking Audrey Hepburn and James Dean. All appeared elegant and classy in their casual clothes.

In a distant view, dazzling light of a cinema theater catches my eyes. Its architecture screams retro—art deco style. With a clear vision, I saw some movie titles plastered on an illuminated white background. My eyes brightened and twinkled at the chaos of colors that surrounded me.

Everything looked vintage as if I just stepped in a classic movie from way back 1950s, and any minute Marlon Brando would just come out of nowhere.

I collected my thoughts then closed my half open mouth in disbelief. I faced Asteria, who stood out from the rest with her unstylish plain blonde hair and silver dress. What's weird is, people won't look at her, as if she is invisible.

"What's happening?" My voice sounds hysterical. "Why am I in here?"

She shrugged, grinning. "I don't know, too." She  raised her head upward, looking at the dark sky. "Ask the heavens,"