First

~*~

"Why I haven't seen this box before?" I asked, bringing back the envelope inside.

My grandmother shifted from her sit on the hospital bed. I put the box aside, as I fix her blanket properly.

The heater lessened the brutal cold that the winter outside brought as the sun started to dip into the horizon.

She chuckled. "Oh, I let your mother collect those pictures, because I wanted that box to be buried with me when I died,"

I sighed, stroking my eyebrow. Here she is again. "Stop talking about death, Nana," I said lowly, my lips formed a frown.

"Oh, Honey. We will all experience that," She said coolly, as if death is not something we should not be afraid.

I shrugged, dropping our topic. I picked the box and put it on her lap.

"By the way, Nana, what is that envelope inside?" Curiosity lingered on my tongue. "It seemed like it doesn't belong on that box, as if it was misplaced over the mountain of photos,"

Nana raised her eyebrow, opening the box again.

"Oh, this?" She gasped. It looked like she forgot about the envelope and just remembered it now. She pulled out the envelope out of the box, as her eyes traced the only thing that was written on there: To Sharon

"It's been years, how could I forget this?" Her lashes blink rapidly, as she cover her half-open mouth. Then slowly her lips suddenly formed into a smile, the crease under her eyes deepened. "Maybe your mom misplaced this. This should belong on a another box, where your grandfather love letters are,"

I warm smile plastered on my face. I really love when she talks about my grandfather. She speaks with so much love lingered on her eyes.

I gently tucked some piece of loosened hair behind my ears. "You are so sweet, Nana. But why that letter haven't been opened?"

"Oh, I have forgotten it for years!" She breathed. "I remembered, I don't wanna read this letter. Because reading this, means saying goodbye to him,"

"Him?" I asked. "Who? Grandpa?"

Her shoulders move as she took a long breath. I know she reads every love letter from my grandfather back then, but I don't know if she still do when he died. Maybe that's why she doesn't wanna read his last letter for her. She doesn't wanna say her farewell, yet.

"No, Honey," She shook her head, voice sounded so down.

"Then who?" My eyebrow squished together.

Her wrinkled hand ran through mine, softly hitting a ring around my ring finger—the sapphire engagement ring that once belong to my grandmother. Oh, how I miss my fiancée.

"It was from my ex-lover," Her gazed lowered on my ring, twiddling it.

My mouth fell open, shock. I adjusted from my seat, as I was dazing incredulously at Nana. "It was from him?" My vocal pitch rose.

She nodded continuously, face plastered into a genuine smile.

"Oh, my God, Nana. Its been years since he passed away, why haven't you read his letter?"

Before Nana found and love grandpa, her first love was Radleigh Thompson. I still remembered back then, she used to tell me stories about her wonderful young days here in New York city. I have recently knew that their family used to owned a small bakery, but unfortunately, it was burnt down by fire.

She wanted to forget that memory, it seemed like she was really hurt if she would tell that horrible scene of her life. But everything changed when I met my fiancée. That's why Nana told me everything, about their bakery that filled with good memories with Radleigh Thompson and their beautiful relationship.

"Like what I have told you, I don't wanna say goodbye yet to him. He even gave this to me before he died, which was so sudden. But time passed by that's why I also forgot about it," She said. "And now that I found this, maybe I'll read this later. It's time to say goodbye to him with my earthly body. I will see him soon with your grandfather, Lotus,"

I gulped, suppressing my tears. My grandma was still smiling genuinely, same with her eyes. "Nana! I said stop talking about death. You are making me cry!" I whined, my voice was near to crack.

She reached for me and patted my head. I blink rapidly to control the tiny little tears that wanted to fell from my eyes.

"Oh, dear. Don't cry. Shhh..." She cooed. "Why don't you go to your fiancée's office first? Its been weeks since you last saw each other. And also tell your aunt grandma Cecilia to come by in here. I haven't seen that lady too for a week!"