Poison

~*~

Radleigh sat down the grassy ground beside the tombstone of his mother. He tapped the ground in his other side, inviting me to sit.

I sat beside him, smoothing the line of my skirt. "You always visit here?" I asked, as I notice against the dimmed place the grave yard of her mother— Bermuda grass was neatly cut with fresh bouquet of Daisies beside the tombstone.

He ran his fingers across the black tombstone, where her mother's name was engraved

Emily Thompson
Sept. 15, 1910 – Feb. 02, 1955

"I visit here once a week, but I've been visiting lately since Sharon and I broke up," He said, but Sharon's name felt like a venom.

"So you brought that daisies?"

"Uh-huh," He nodded. "I did early this morning before going to our company,"

A small smile crept into my lips. He really do loves him mom.

"Oh, then why not bring me here in the morning?" I said mockingly, crossing my arms.

"Why? You still scared at night here in cemetery?" His laugh was in his eyes, in the way his face changed into the vision of relaxed joy and unrestrained mirth, which I haven't seen in him for days.

"They are all dead, Lotus. Be afraid of the living instead," He added.

"I'm not afraid," I lied then he chuckled. I ignored him then just watched the night sky twinkled with stars.

It went quiet for a moment, only the soft sound of crickets lingered on our ears. The night was deep, but I can't feel sleepy and tired beside Radleigh right now.

"It seems to me, that love can be labeled poison and we'd drink it anyways," His voice was husky and soft. I looked at him behind my lashes, but he is also gazing upward against the night sky.

"Yeah," I agreed in a low voice. Then his eyes are now locked with mine. His expression became soft and blue. "Haven't you think of it?"

"What?"

"If we can love the wrong person that much, imagine how much we can love the right one?" A single tear rolled down in his cheeks. I automatically wiped it, as if my fingers have its own mind. Seeing him crying again, making my heart aches.

He blinked like he didn't noticed he is crying.

"Just cry, Radleigh. The pain won't go away in just overnight. But you need to accept everything first, then comes the healing," I held his hands, soothing him. He is not just thinking about his heartbreak but also their company, so I know that everything will really burst inside of him. And all he just needed is a shoulder to cry on.

It went quiet again for a second, then he started to speak.

"I met Sharon when my mother died and she was there at my time of grief, then as time passed by, I found myself falling," He breathed. "And I thought that maybe the heavens sent her for me, in exchange of my mom. But I never loved her because of that crappy thought. I did because she was Sharon. She is Sharon,"

He licked his lips, glassy gray eyes staring at me. "I love her so much. I'd rather die without her," His voice started to cracked.

My expression went worried and agape. "Rad, stop saying that," I said softly as I wipe another tear.

"I'm hopeless, Lotus, this pain I am in right now is so unbearable. Before sleeping, I'd think of her. Even waking up in the morning, her face was the first one will flash in my mind!"

"Shhh..." I gently leaned his head into my shoulders. Hot tears dripped down into my red dress, as I cooed his trembling shoulders.

"Everything will be alright, I am still here. I will let you cry on me until you became alright again," Radleigh went for my hands, squeezing it with his warmly. As he do that, a flicker of something went through me. I wasn't quite sure what it was, but for a split second, it felt almost intimate.

When Radleigh starting to be okay again, I opened another conversation. We talked about our childhood, our likes and dislikes, embarrassing moments and a lot of small things happened to ourselves.

Time had begun to dissolve to it self, as dawn came in musical silence, the soul hearing the melody that the ears could not. I didn't noticed the time went by so fast, as we got hooked up in our life stories, while dead people surrounds us.

"I like the sunset more," He grinned. "But sunrise is what I really love,"

The sky glows like a summer peach and the sun is pure gold in the sky. We blinked toward the sun that brought us a day we were never promised, yet was glad to see.