PT1, ACT 2: Brethren

PART 1: ALFHEIM/UNDERWORLD ARC

ACT 2: BRETHREN

***

Kirito's POV

***

Firstly, it was clear that this world was not a VR world—everything was real, the plants, the air, the animals, myself included. But the things that existed in this world were much like from a fantasy game— monstrous predatory plants, animals and birds I've never seen before, and aggressive monsters that included those who were beast-like and humanoid.

Secondly, any contact with the real world or other ALO players was not possible, as the fundamental composition of the System was different in this world and did not have a «Chat» or «Message» tool.

Thirdly, my body was no longer a human's, but an actual fairy's. I had received enhanced senses, and had natural night vision like a Spriggan should in ALO. My speed, strength and vitality were all off-the-scales, I could easily knock down a tree with a single punch. My wings worked the same way as in ALO—absorbing light and granting me an upwards magical force. I felt pain, but cuts I received from branches healed automatically, in a matter of seconds.

Fourth, I found that my emotions— or the way my head worked around things— became completely different. I could now think a few different thoughts at once, and my whole head worked quicker around them. My intuition was outstanding, letting me sense a monster's presence from over twenty meters away. When in actual combat, my chain of thinking sped up so fast time seemed to slow down around me.

The shady «???» skill, as I found while experimenting, did not activate unless I lost my cool about the real world. It didn't suppress any heated emotions otherwise, like anger, grief, joy, et cetera.

Fifth, my magic was the same as from ALO, shadow-type magic and illusion-type magic used by Spriggans. However after a few hours of experimenting, I realised that I could cast magic without incarnations— all I needed was to «imagine» the flow of magical energy (MP) inside me and form it into spells. This was difficult, as even my enhanced brain could not concentrate and imagine well enough to perfectly replicate a spell from ALO. I needed longer time practicing.

Sixth, my «System Display» ability was proved to be completely omnipotent, as it worked on other things than myself. I could «stare» at a monster and read its name, status and skills, even when the monster was covered by an obstacle or was invisible. This meant I could measure an opponent's strength even before battle started and know its fighting style, automatically granting me an upper hand in any fights.

My «System Display» worked on items and non-living things as well, letting me understand its name and the properties it held. With this ability, I could find edible food just by «staring» at the things in the area.

My new 'fairy' mind did not find myself horrified or disgusted when taking another life. Monsters in this world did not disintegrate into polygons like in VR-games, but remained as dead bodies while splattering blood and internal organs all over the place. I felt not a slightest hesitation in killing living things, not even when I skinned, gutted, and cooked animals I had caught. This was convenient as I didn't feel guilt as I fought monsters that attacked me, but also scared me when I thought this might be the same against humans.

And through all these experiments, I learnt about my new body and this new world.

The day had passed while I explored, so after I had my fill of edible fruits and squirrel(?) meat, I went to sleep on top of a firm tree branch, confident that my new enhanced senses will wake me up a moment danger approached.