PT 1, ACT 4: Afterlife

PART 1: ALFHEIM/UNDERWORLD ARC

ACT 4: AFTERLIFE

You have been disconnected from the game————

***

Leaving Lisbeth where she was standing in the middle of the street, Asuna kicked off after the cloaked figure running full speed towards the outside of the town to the direction from where she and Lisbeth had came from.

Asuna knew Lisbeth's personality and understood fully why she did what she did—and didn't think that it was a bad thing to do, knocking out the soldiers, as long as she didn't kill them.

Though she was worried for Lisbeth's sake, the issue could be dealt with later.

"I'll be back, I promise!" Asuna cried back towards her friend, then focused her full concentration on moving her legs as fast as she could.

Being called the «Flash» in SAO and «Berserk Healer» (though she didn't like that name) in ALO, her speed and dexterity were top class amongst VR players in Japan, except for only a few number of monstrously powerful players, like Kirito.

But the speed of the figure was as quick, or faster than her.

"Kuh.... he's fast!"

Asuna reached her hand towards the hilt of her rapier. She knew that she had no chance of catching up sprinting, and so this was her last resort——

Asuna drew her rapier «Chivalric Eternity» and readied it parallel to the ground to her side in a practiced movement she had done thousands of times ever since the First Floor of the Floating Castle Aincrad———

The simple one-hit rapier-type Sword Skill, «Linear».

Asuna's ultra-rare class weapon shone brilliantly in silver light as she thrust it forward. An unseen force pulled the rapier and Asuna's body forward, speeding up her body to an impossible level.

She had tested and had known that Sword Skills worked in this world. In this New World, her «Linear» was fast enough to make people think she had travelled in an instant.

Of course, Asuna aimed her shot away from the figure not to kill them. However—

He dodged!? Asuna gave a panicked thought as she saw that the figure had gone away from sight. Then she realised that they were above her.....

"Wha—!!"

The cloaked figure had grown out black fairy wings and had kicked off, surging through the air and gaining altitude quickly.

Fairy.....wings?

"Wait! You are.....!!"

But the cloaked figure did not stop, and kept soaring towards the woods outside of town. Asuna released her own wings and chased the mysterious fairy while gritting her teeth.

"You're from ALfheim.... why are you running—?"

But muttering wouldn't solve anything. Asuna brought her arms close to herself and breathed out deeply, relaxing her tense body. Closing her eyes, she absorbed the energy from the sun into her wings—and let it out all at once.

"....!"

The black-winged fairy gasped and swerved barely, as Asuna suddenly sped up and reached out with her hand at their cloak. The fairy spiralled down for a few seconds before rushing up again, trying to create a distance between them and Asuna.