PT1, ACT 5: Earthquake

PART 1: ALFHEIM/UNDERWORLD ARC

ACT 5: EARTHQUAKE

".....but to think you were the holder of the «Spirit Blade Kagutsuchi», Rowen."

I told the redheaded Salamander, whom I got along pretty well since we had met, as we walked down the dark forest. He turned and raised an eyebrow laying a hand on the handle of his katana, Kagutsuchi.

"I'm surprised you knew about it."

"Of course, it's a legendary item." I said, touching my own golden blade slung over my back, another legendary item, «Excalibur».

"Ah.... you're right." The Salamander smiled, crossing his arms behind his head.

I continued. "I went to that damn hot Muspelheim dungeon with this guy called Klein and a few others, and found that it has already been looted.... I still can't forget the melancholy I felt back then...."

"Hahah! That must've been terrible! My bad!" Rowen laughed heartily, baring his slightly-sharp teeth.

I smiled faintly back. "But I'm surprised. Those Flame Giants in that dungeon were really strong, right? Who did you party with?"

Rowen's expression darkened for a second. "This player I know from real life named Mirianne. I shouldn't really be worried if she's in this world too, because she's a really good fighter. But you know, it's just...."

"......yeah. I think I understand." Basically, it must've been the same as how I felt about Asuna—now that I knew other players were in this world, there was a big chance she was summoned here as well.

"Haah.... what really is happening...." I sighed, muttering tiredly.

"Heh. Firstly we should find the inhabitants of this world, Kirito. If orcs like that are mentioned as monsters, there should be those who are considered 'NPC's, right?"

I nodded. "And we're heading into the forest, because...?"

".....'cause of this." Rowen said, throwing towards me a rolled-up scroll, made from some kind of animal skin. I opened it up, revealing a series of roughly sketched lines, arrows and cross marks.

"This is.... a map?"

Rowen nodded. "The Orc Warchief had it. I've flown up and determined that the shape drawn is somewhat similar to the geography of the forest...."

"Very reassuring." I chided.

Rowen sent me a look, then continued. "And this cross is near the border of the forest. The orcs were heading this direction before they ambushed me in my sleep. Don't you think something might be there?"

"Better than looking around knowing nothing," I said, returning the Orcish map to Rowen, and giving him a grin. "Alright, you lead. We'll..."

A shock ran through the ground suddenly, making me lose balance on the spot. I quickly righted myself, but the shock continued on and on.

For a person living in Japan, this was a familiar  phenomenon...

"An earthquake?" Rowen asked as he rose slightly in the air with his wings, avoiding the trembling in the earth.

"Yeah.... so this is what earthquakes feel like out in the open...." I said, also floating into the air. The effects of the natural disaster was apparent, as trees trembled and fell, and cracks appeared in the earth all over the place.

"Alright. Let's fly over this earthquake for now." Rowen called, quickly rising higher in altitude through the trees. I nodded and followed the Salamander flying into the air.