PT1, ACT 7: A Turning Point, ONE

PART 1: ALFHEIM/UNDERWORLD ARC

ACT 7: A TURNING POINT, ONE

".........this is....."

I stopped just as the sounds finally came to my hearing.

Sounds of metal crashing into other hard materials, cries and shouts of people and monsters alike....

"A battle...!!" Rowen curled his fingers around the hilt of his katana «Kagutsuchi».

Turning, I saw Rowen's tense expression with a fire of frustration in his eyes.

"Rowen, we shouldn't be charging in without assessing the enemy's strength——"

"Sorry, Kirito!!"

"W-wait!"

Before I could grab the Salamander's arm, Rowen had kicked off the ground towards the sounds of battle while lighting up an orb of fire in front of him.

"Tch.....damn it!" I drew my black sword «Unity Vox» and followed as fast as I could.

And as the trees separated in front of us........

The scene of the battle came into sight.

There were about eight humans in total—three were at the center hiding, one had received a massive claw wound on his chest and was on the ground—and the rest were fighting against the dozens of monsters that surrounded them.

Six dark wolves which one of them was big and seemed to be the leader—— three large snakes with two tails and spikes growing on its back—— and lastly, two ogres holding greatswords preventing the humans from escaping into the forest.

There was no hesitation as to which side to support.

"«Flame Bolt»—!!!"

The fireball floating in front of Rowen shot forward immediately, travelling towards the wolves in the front of the men and piercing through their bodies all at once.

Four of them dropped dead—one survived it, the large leader-like wolf avoided it.

"Guaargh!?" The two ogres, towering over the two of us, turned their attentions towards me and Rowen, readying their greatswords.

"Kirito! I'll leave them to you!" Rowen shouted and kept of running forward.

"Roger!" As I turned my course towards the large ogres, who stood as high as three meters, I motioned with my free left hand.

"«Blindness»!"

A dark shadow-like substance formed over the ogres' eyes, covering their sight in complete blackness. As they howled and raised their arms towards their faces——

My Sword Skill «Horizontal» dissected them in half cleanly from the waist.

***

Rowen's battle had finished smoothly as well. One swing of his katana in an iai (a horizontal slash straight from the sheathe) eliminated the first snake, then several quick consecutive movements cut off the remaining snakes and the surviving wolf into pieces.

The last surviving monster, the wolf leader (Barghest Hound, Level 31) with chains floating around its body, gave a final howl and leapt towards Rowen from the front. The fairy responded with an explosion of fire right in the monster's face. With its entire upper body charred, the monster fell to the ground behind Rowen where it lay still.

And just like that, the monsters were gone in a matter of seconds.

***

Things after the battle went on smoothly.