Chapter 2

The dinner was more than I could have ever imagined. I never knew that such a variety of recipes existed. There were delicacies that melted in your mouth and, no matter what they played, the music seemed to be always suited to everyone's taste. Soon enough, I felt completely bloated, and my corset was starting to suffocate me.
King Jin barely touched his plate as he watched me in amusement and asked me all sorts of questions. He asked about my family and my interests and I happily obliged to answer.
Until he said something I wasn't expecting.
"You have beautiful eyes."
That made me choke. "P-pardon me?"
He laughed, still amused. "Can you dance?"
I paused. What was that all of a sudden? I used to love watching my parents dance in front of the fireplace in the living room while J-hope played the flute. I always thought they looked like a fairytale prince and princess as the fire glow illuminated their faces.
I look at the young king's face to find him still waiting for my answer.
"Yes, your majesty, I do." I replied hesitantly.
Taking my hand in his, he led me to the center of the ballroom. Everyone else seemed to follow him as the king signaled for the dance to begin. He spun me around swiftly to a fast tune, and together we waltzed across the dance floor, weaving in between and around other guests.
"You're very light-footed, my lady," He complimented with a smile and I returned the smile back shyly.

After a while, he invited me to the royal rose garden for a walk since, quoting his words, "the weather was very fine." We sat on a wooden bench surrounded by rose bushes in every colour imaginable. The whole situation was so cliché I could hardly believe anything was real.
The dream-like feeling almost distracted me from the uneasiness churning in my stomach. But as time passed, I began to think that J-hope was right. I was sitting in a rose garden. Alone with the King. At night.
He turned to look at me, eyes full of sincerity.
"My lady."
"Y-yes?"
Suddenly unsure, he shook his head then stood up before kneeling on his knees on the ground in front of me.
Oh, Lord.
"Will you accept my proposal?" he spoke in a deadly serious tone.
Two guards started to notice our voices in the distance and perked their heads up searching for the source.
Kneeling down next to the king, I placed my hands on his mouth, but once I remembered that he was the King himself in front of me, I clasped my hands back in my lap.
"With all due respect, have you gone out of your mind?!" I half whispered, half shrieked.
"Why do you think so...?" a knot was starting to form between his royal eyebrows.
"You're the King!"
"I don't get how that matters in anything?"
I didn't really get it either.
"I mean we just met..." I laughed ludicrously. "You can't possibly have fallen for me during the past two hours!"
"You dare to mock your King?" he scolded, his expression turning stern.
"Pardon me." I pursed my lips."Your majesty," I added.
Sighing, he looked up at the sky. He was still sitting on the ground, fiddling with a rose he'd picked from a nearby bush. His stance was so charming that it resembled that of a prince. Never mind that, he was a king.
"I have to marry sooner or later, and you're by far the least dull woman I've ever met..." he turned to face me with pleading eyes. "Why won't you marry me?" He asked as casually as if was merely inquiring about the weather.
"I don't know if I should take that as a compliment, your Majesty."
"It is! I've really enjoyed your company so far."
Those ravishing lips were starting to pout and I gulped as I tried to form a reply.
"I-" but before I could utter another word, something hit my mouth. A rose.
Spitting out the petals, I watched King Jin laughing in joy as he stood up and pulled me along with him.
"Give me a chance to prove my affection for you," he said with his hands proudly on either side of his hips. "But before that, don't give me a reply." He started to walk off. "Or I shall use all these garden's roses here to keep you quiet," he added.

"And now we present His Majesty's personal, favorite joker, V!"
All the guests stood up in another round of applause for yet another performer.
I was trying my best to enjoy the entertaining acrobats and magicians, but the King's heavy presence at my side was overwhelming. Excusing myself, I stood up to head for the washrooms to freshen up.
Just as I approached the middle of the hall, my vision was suddenly obscured by something purple. Looking up, a powdered white face smiled at me with bloody-red lips that reached his ears.
"Dear guests, I wonder what our joker might preset to this beautiful lady we have here. Behold!" announced the master of ceremonies.
The joker, in the shiny purple costume with streaks of gold, took slow steps around me, as if wondering what to do with me. Then he straightened up, eyes glowing, and with a snap of his fingers, glitter went flying around us.
I raised my eyebrows with a smirk and crossed my arms, not really impressed.
He mimicked me with an exaggerated tap of his foot.
I tried to dodge him and walk away, but he blocked me with a hand raised in front of my face and a whistle that suddenly appeared in his mouth. Raising one index finger, he signaled for me to wait, then he rummaged in his side pockets. With his tongue sticking out and eyes narrowing in concentration, he pulled out nothing. But nonetheless, he placed his empty fist over his lips and blew.
An explosion of red burst from between his lips, showering us in soft, red rose petals.
Proud with his trick, he wiggled his eyebrows at me, clapping excitedly.
I laughed and opened my palm to catch some of the petals.
Suddenly serious, he coughed into his fist then reached out for my face. Cautious I leaned back a bit but then his fingertips touched my ear, and he pulled out a rose.
He bowed, presenting the rose to me as the crowd cheered and clapped. I made my way to the bathroom quickly after.

Cold, refreshing water splashed on my face.
Patting my face with a nearby towel, I stuck some loose hair strands back into the clips and took one last look at myself before walking out of the washroom.
That joker sure eased my tension, I thought to myself with a smile.
Too engrossed in my thoughts, I didn't notice the man heading my way and bumped into his shoulder. He was so tall and stiff; I stumbled backward and ended up landing on the marble floor.
"Watch where you're--" he bellowed, then paused as he caught sight of my face. "Well, well. Who have we got here?" He knelt next to me and grabbed my chin, forcing my head up to his. "The king's little mistress."
Slapping his hand away, I stood up and glared at him.
"I'm sorry I bumped into you, but please refrain from making unnecessary assumptions."
The man had golden blond hair and sharp features. The uneasiness crept back into the pit of my stomach.
"What? Mistress?" he smirked. "But that's only the truth, you see, I know my brother best."
"Namjoon!"
With a heavy sigh and a spiteful look on his face, the man turned to face the king--or his brother, as I'd just found out--who came up behind him. Fury was etched on his noble features.
"Get away from her." King Jin rumbled. It was the first time I had seen him this bent out of shape.
Stepping away with both hands raised, Prince Namjoon walked away. But that wasn't before throwing me one last smirk.
"My most sincere apologies, my lady," King Jin bowed his head in apology. "My brother can be quite insolent at times."
"It's alright," I said, even though it was absolutely not alright. I was planning on getting that brat for what he did that night.
Exchanging farewells, I bid the king a good night as all the guests summoned their carriages. Some were drunk, leaning on their wives, some were still up and excited for another round of wine, and some, like me, just wanted to flop on their soft mattresses, the thrill of the evening's joy still buzzing within.
The King offered to order a carriage for me, but I graciously refused. J-hope had promised to pick me up by the end of the party.
Lingering by the castle's outer walls, I sat on a nearby oak tree as I waited for him.
Recalling the evening's events, my shoulders slumped. "What a night..." I sighed.

Something rustled behind me and I jumped a little.

"J-Jimin, someone might-," I heard a girl's voice giggle.
"Hush," a man's voice said sultry, silencing the first one.
My ears perked up and I froze. I cursed myself for not noticing the couple pressed against the other side of the tree. After some inappropriate noises came from the couple, I decided I'd heard enough.
I tried to tiptoe my way towards the main street. But my damned luck just had to play one more joke on me, and a branch snapped under my foot.
The woman gasped and the man cursed under his breath. I wished the ground would swallow me whole.
"Sorry! Keep going on with... whatever you were doing." I blurted out and rushed towards a bench on the other side of the street.
The night was getting quieter and the streets emptier. Placing my face in my palms I blamed it all on J-hope. Why was he late? I remained in that position until I felt a presence near me.
"Good Evening, Miss."
I removed my hands and looked up to find a young man, maybe a little older than myself, staring down at me.
"Good Evening," I replied back evenly.
"May I?" He motioned towards the empty spot on the bench next to me.
I shifted a little to make space for him and straightened up.
"Waiting for someone?" he asked.
I nodded. I was trying to keep the conversation as curt as possible. It was too late in the night to indulge in one with a stranger.
Stealing a sideways glance, I saw him leaning comfortably on the bench's back, legs and arms crossed with a pleased smile on his face. Charismatic, I thought to myself. He had thick, chestnut brown hair, and his fitness could show by the way his suit clung to his body.
He must have noticed me staring because he turned towards me and his lips slipped into a lopsided smile. His eyes disappeared into two crescents and his cheekbones rose in such a charming manner. He was very handsome, too.
"Nice to meet you, by the way," he extended his hand, "I go by Jimin. Park Jimin."
My hand almost reached his to shake but then something clicked and I gasped, immediately pulling it back to cover my mouth.
He must have noticed the beetroot shade of my face since he laughed and rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment.
"Quite a fright we gave you back there, hm?" he asked jokingly.
"N-not at all..." I replied, slowly inching towards the edge of the bench.
He sighed.
"Once she noticed what was happening, she fled. Not that I'm blaming you, just that women these days--"
"Yes, I get your point, sir," I replied quickly, not wanting him to go into detail.
He burst out laughing and stood up, wiping the tears of laughter from the corners of his eyes.
Clearing his throat after taking his time to enjoy the look on my baffled face, he placed a hand on the bench's armrest and knelt close to my face.
"You were so fascinating this evening at the party's ball," he confessed in a low voice. "I almost envied the king." I started at him in shock. "I'm looking forward to meeting you again, dearie." With a wink, he bid me farewell and sauntered away.