Chapter Twenty Two

I wasn't scared.

The dark, eerie cave didn't scare me. Nor did the scrambling noises echoing through its depths. I had long forgotten the sting in my scraped knees and tied wrists. I had. The unsettling dripping sounds didn't really grate on my nerves or anything. And the occasional shadows that passed by the cave's opening and seemed to suck out the last rays of light didn't bother me one bit. Even though I knew to whom they belonged.

No, I wasn't scared.

I wasn't.

"Everything is going to be alright," I mumbled into my clenched fists, eyes tightly shut, trying to block out any and everything surrounding me. "This is all going to end very soon."

My own lousy promises became my only salvation from hysterical panic. I wasn't dumb enough to attempt making a move on my three kidnappers. At least, I have seen three. Who knew who else stood outside this cave's entrance. And recalling the walk to this rocky opening up the mountain, I knew I would only meet my end faster if I took a single clumsy step out of here.

"So, Missy. What do ye think our prince got planned for ye, eh?"

I take back every word. I was terrified out of my skin.

Namjoon's disciples, the two men I had had the unfortunate chance to meet previously, sauntered towards me with sneers plastered on their unshaven faces. The larger one of the two was swinging a metal rod in his hand while the older man silently picked his front teeth with a pocket knife. I pulled my knees closer to my chest as I felt my breath lodge in my throat.

"Not so feisty this time around, eh?" The bulky man bantered, kneeling down in front of me. One meaty hand reaching out to cup my cheek. "I like you better this way. Nice." He patted my cheek hard enough for my head to bob sideways. "And obedient."

I could only grit my teeth and hold back my twitching fists.

"I wouldn't touch his woman if were ya," the old man quipped from the side, leaning on one side of the cave's wall.

"If only she'd stay with us here long enough." His fingers slid towards my collar, pulling it down just enough to reveal the hollow in my neck. "That would be really, really--"

"Get out."

A tall shadow appeared in the entrance, filling the room with its dark presence.

"Told ya." The old man was the first to retreat out of the cave.

Namjoon, whom no one had noticed enter--except probably the older man--stood above the bulkier man with his sword resting against the man's double chin.

Some might have felt a sort of reassurance from this turn of events, but as soon the larger man left in a huff and my eyes rose to meet my kidnapper's hard gaze, an inevitable premonition of fear pervaded my senses. At that moment I really wished I'd been more of a coward; I could have run away or called for help. Maybe I could have reached Taehyung before Namjoon and his men managed to do anything. But I knew it was pointless to look back; Suga's head would have dropped off his body before I could have taken the second step. I wouldn't have been able to save my own skin, let alone of those I cared about. It sickened me that this man brought out this pathetic side of me.

"Don't worry, they'll never be able to touch you while I'm around." He dropped his sword to his side and knelt to tug on the rough ropes around my wrists. I was half tempted to make a move for the weapon. If only he would untie me, I thought, feigning a wince of pain for he might take pity on me and free my wrists. But to my dismay, he only loosened them enough for the rough ropes not to rub against my bruised flesh.