Chapter 6

Half a day of sleep and a meal later, Taehyung and I sat in the living room with our hands folded on our laps guiltily as J-hope paced back and forth in a fury.

Taehyung had done most of the explanation while J-hope's eyes had bulged more and more with shock until he shrieked when Taehyung got to the part where Suga threw him to another part of the forest and cornered me.

"Did he do anything to you?!" J-hope grabbed me by the shoulders.

But no matter how much I assured him that I was fine and that Suga had only meant to scare us, J-hope didn't budge on his resolution.

"You're not leaving the house alone from this moment onwards."

The doorbell rang and Taehyung went to get it because, well, J-hope was busy ranting out at me. When he came back and J-hope asked him who it was, he simply shrugged and said, "No one, just a beggar."

"As I was saying you--" J-hope cleared his throat and continued.

"Is that an envelope you just put in your pocket?" I asked Taehyung. His eyes widened in alarm.

"Hm? No. Listen to what your brother has to say."

"It is!" I stood up, ditching a gaping J-hope. "Give it to me."

"Even if it is, it belongs to me!" Taehyung said as he raised the hand holding the letter out of my reach.

"Then why did it arrive at our house?" I asked skeptically.

"News travels fast, they knew I'm currently here."

"Don't give it to her, it's probably the King again," J-hope said from his place. "Just throw it away on your way out."

"Roger that!" Taehyung saluted and marched out.

"Hold up!" I called but J-hope blocked my way.

"To your room, missy," he ordered. With my cheeks puffed with irritation, I glared at him.

"Going! I'm going!"

I eyed him as he sat down, grabbed his supplies register and started scribbling away. My brother was one to get easily distracted. In his school days, teachers used to come knocking on our door begging our father to have a word with J-hope to get him back to his senses and to start focusing more on his studies. But for all the trouble it has caused, I found I could often use it to my advantage.

J-hope had oiled the hinges of every door in the house last night, so when I snuck into the kitchen and opened the back door cautiously, I slipped out as quiet as a whisper.

Grabbing my skirts and running to catch up with Taehyung, I found him leaning on a light post, brows furrowed as he tried to tear open my letter.

"You!" I pointed and dashed to snatch it from his hands.

He laughed as he raised it out of my reach once more. "I had a feeling you'd manage to escape."

I shrugged. "Yes, well." With one hand on my hip, I opened the other, palm facing upwards, in front of his face. "Now hand over what's mine."

Instead of giving me the letter, he placed his chin on my open palm and smiled innocently with a flutter of his lashes. "What will I get in return?"

I flicked his head back with my hand and patted his cheek twice. "Adorable. But when the thing has my name written on it, you don't get a penny."

"Ah, well." He sighed dejectedly but the spark never left his eyes. "How about we settle with you admitting something?"