Chapter 3

"And then what happened?"
"The guests and I bid the king farewell and went our way," I shrugged. J-hope stared at me, bewildered.
While recalling the night's events, I overemphasized what happened in the forest, hoping he wouldn't ask about the party too much. It worked. He didn't notice that the party's details were few and clipped.
"Are you sure it wasn't vapor from a nearby lake or pond...?"
"I know what I saw, J-hope," I assured him. "It was unearthly."
Yesterday seemed like a dream. One where I wake up the next day only to stare at the ceiling, my heart beating fast and a giddy feeling lingering within me.
J-hope had left my room a while ago, still in a daze. He'd only vaguely heard what happened to me, and he still ended up all shaken up. I couldn't help but wonder, what if he'd gone through what I had?
I could hear the sound of the front door open and close but couldn't care less about who our visitor may be. Until a bellow from the bottom floor snapped me out of my thoughts.
"LARA! COME HERE RIGHT NOW!"
"Oh God, what now..." I mumbled, an uneasy feeling stirring in the pit of my gut.
Taking the stairs three steps at a time, my feet landed on the last step's carpet with a thud. My eyes widened in astonishment at the scene in front of me.
Oh. My. God.
Piles over piles of rose boutiques were crammed in the living room.
The last of the delivery men walked out just as I stepped into the room.
"And you thought I misunderstood the King's intentions?" J-hope snarled.

"Where are we going?!" I asked for the tenth time.
J-hope turned to face me, his face a mixture of concern and determination.
"Sis, I know you're not thinking straight right now, and this whole issue about the king's proposal must have gotten you all shaken up." He placed his hands on my shoulders. "Let's get away for a bit since he'll keep persisting until you give him a reply. I want you to think with a clear mind, without anyone pestering you for an answer."
My heart melted at his words and, for once, I felt incredibly grateful my brother could read me so well. He was completely correct about my mental state. Along with the bouquets came a letter from the king himself that promised a specially prepared ball was going to be thrown in my honor soon. God only knew how stressed out I was, hearing that news.
I was never a huge romantic, but even so, I believed in marrying some I could share feelings of affection with. On the other hand, I was a mere peasant standing next to a king. Who was I to tell him what to do or not to do? The worst part was that if this ever got out to the public, people would start pointing fingers.
"J-hope..." I finally broke down, my eyes starting to blur with tears.
He wrapped his arms around me and I felt so safe in his familiar embrace.
"Damn it." he swore. "I knew you didn't want this."
Lifting my face so he could look at me, he wiped away a tear with his thumb then clasped my cheeks with both of his hands softly.
"Worry not, my little sister. I'm getting you out of here." He declared triumphantly, pumping a fist in the air.

With our bags packed, J-hope and I headed to the countryside, our arms interlocked, chattering about nothing and anything.
"See that tree over there?" he pointed to a withered pine tree in the distance, surrounded by stockpiles of golden hay. I squinted.
"Yes."
"Last one to get there sets up the tent!" he yelled as he sprinted forward, leaving me sputtering in shock.
"You crook!" I shouted and started racing after him. "Hold up!"
Our laughter echoed across the fields for all to hear and envy. Our faces shone with bliss and our hearts were free of burden.
J-hope had always been there for me, and I for him. We shared an unspoken oath to be there at the end of the day—no matter what hardship or disagreement faced us—with arms wide open, welcoming, forgiving and, most importantly, protecting.
We both flopped onto a high pile of hay and looked up at the clear blue infinity above. Both of us just laid there in a comfortable silence, lost in our own thoughts.
I felt his hand suddenly grasp mine.
"You alright?" he asked, worry etched on his face.
"I am now," I replied with a smile and squeezed his hand reassuringly.
I felt so truly happy and carefree in that moment, I doubted anything I could've told him how I felt.
But how long would it last?