Chapter 10

The air was perfumed by the humid scent of grass mixed with a sugary fragrance. I tried snuggling into the warmth of my covers, but something was wrong. It felt lumpy as if I was on a bed of earth and rocks. My clothes clung to me as damp as the dew of the dawn. I half wondered if I was still dreaming when my eyes fluttered open and I was met stark whiteness. Streaks of color penetrated the cracks in the white obscuring my vision. Slowly and reluctantly, I brushed the back of my hand against my eyes. Sunlight shone through the gaps in the leafy canopy of trees hovering above. Reaching out to touch whatever had been covering my face, I felt delicate, white petals scatter around with every movement I made. When I tilted my head to get a better view of my surroundings, I realized I wasn't in my bed, let alone at home. I was in the middle of a forest covered by a pile of wildflowers. As I rose, a myriad of daisies went tumbling over all around me while the sun hissed above my head, coercing me to get back to my senses.

Suga.

My eyelids—previously dropping and leaden with sleep—snapped wide open as if I've been awoken by the wailing of raid sirens. Scanning my surrounding frantically, I found no trace of him. Even when I lifted my arms to inspect for any injuries, I found none. It was as if last night never happened. Gone without a trace. Did it even happen last night? I had no idea how long I'd been out for. Was it just a dream? But the state I've awoken in with all the daisies covering me—like some sort of blanket—left room for doubt.

"Who is it?"

I knocked once more and waited. Then when the door cracked open and a familiar head of auburn curls peaked out, the smile I was holding back finally spread on my face. I'd missed that girl.

"LARA?!" My childhood friend whom I haven't seen in ages, Eunji shrieked in shock and flung her arms around my neck. "Goodness, what took you so long, you wench?!"

She was bouncing up and down excitedly and I joined in despite the suffocating grip she had around my throat. Townspeople passing by were watching in amusement but neither of us cared. We'd been apart for too long to bother.

Once the thrill had sizzled down and we'd caught our breath, our last encounter dawned upon us like a heavy burden and I pursed my lips in an awkward smile.

"I'm sorry, Eunji."

She cupped my cheeks and shook her head, refusing to let what happened in the past ruin our reunion.

"No, love," she said. "I am the one who must apologize for my foolishness."

We stood for a while, suppressed smiles lightening up our faces until Eunji gasped and realized we were still standing on her house's front steps.

"Get in, you fool! Don't tell me you're shy now that it's been awhile since you've been here. Remember how you used to barge in every morning—"

"Eunji..."

She fell silent at the wary look on my face and held onto my clasped hand. This girl knew me like the back of her hand, and I felt a sense of comfort despite the pestering worries on my mind.

Looking into her worried eyes, I finally let out the burden that has been weighing me down. "I need your help."

"Yes, Hobie, I'm telling you Lara stayed over last night. Have you gone deaf in the last couple of months?"

"No I haven't," J-hope snapped. "And stop calling me that ridiculous name."

Eunji shrugged with a rise of her eyebrows. "Why? It's adorable."

"Adorable isn't really the concept I'm going for." He glared at her.

"Ah, never mind." She waved her hand and put her arm around my shoulders. "You're no fun anymore. Let's go, Lara."