Chapter Seventeen

Staring wasn't quite the word for what Taehyung was doing, though he'd have fit the dictionary definition if it wasn't for that glint in those walnut orbs of his. Suffering, loneliness, longing, desire; his eyes held all those deep-seated emotions and many more. Over the weeks, I'd learned to read him through the emotions that danced like fire, licking at the walls of his eyes. However, sometimes, like today, the fire dwindled down to smoldering ember and even I, who had gotten to know this young man living in our house, could not tell which exact emotion was searing just beyond those walls. His eyes rest, not unblinking but slowed; yet the effect was soft and inviting instead of harsh. Perhaps it was his lips that gave away his intention. They were not quite smiling but tilting as if they meant to. We both had our head on a pillow, lost in our own staring contest. Neither of us had said a word as we'd walked back to the room. We just laid there on our sides, facing each other on the bed. And so far, we'd been satisfied with just that. Soft wisps of his hair swept across his forehead to reveal one dark brow that was slightly raised, lined with something between amusement and delight.

"Too handsome, right? Isn't it a sin?"

At his voice, my gaze returned to his lips to find them curled into his signature box smile, the same smile that I've always found so silly and endearing. Caught off guard, I pulled my head off the pillow and sat straight facing him.

"No, just wondering how such a deformation could ever be born," I replied coyly.

"But I find your own proportions just right," he replied cheekily with his head still on the pillow.

"Tch." I cringed at his cheesy remark and he started laughing on his own.

God, how I missed that laugh. That deep, husky laugh which seemed to echo from the very depths of his chest and left him breathless.

My lips moved on their own accord and I heard myself say the words like they were a sigh of relief that I had been holding in for too long. "I missed you."

Despite my soft murmur, I knew he heard it when his laughter ceased into silence and his twinkling eyes glazed over with fiery intensity. When I met his gaze, I was drawn into his eyes. The deep brown simmered a feeling within me that made me feel like I was being pulled into a cup of sweet, hot chocolate. It was like all the myriad shades of that brown swirled together to form a whirlpool of desire. I could tell as he leaned on an arm to lift himself up that our staring session had long ended, and his new burning gaze, directed at the lower part of my face, confirmed my thoughts. It was finally over. Or at least, I hoped the worst of it was. Taehyung was back, not just physically. The Taehyung I knew, was back. And as if possessed by some essence, I was rooted to my spot, never wanting him out of my sight. It felt comfortable. Safe.

Leaning on one arm, his face came inches away from my own, and I could feel his soft breath on my forehead. I didn't move. I couldn't move. The force of my heart thrashing violently against my chest was making me lightheaded and all I could muster was a slight upwards tilt of my head. But I only realized what a mistake that was when my eyes fell on a pair of lips that were slightly parted and drawing nearer.

Then he kissed me. Soft and slow. Just a peck but, Lord, did it felt like November, like hot chocolate on stormy evenings and crisp autumn air. So satisfyingly sweet.

It was only a fleeting second that I had to squeeze my eyes shut and catch my breath, because once those lips grazed my own ever so briefly, they disappeared just as fast. If I wasn't still alive and conscious of his every breath, I would have honestly believed my heart had stopped beating all together. Warmth radiated from the spot where his lips had just touched my own, slowly spreading through the rest of me. I sensed his eyes drift down to my lips as though he was savoring the effect, before that warm sensation washed over me once again.