Chapter Twenty One

"You need my help."

He said it so matter-of-factly, it was as if he wasn't even surprised we'd come asking for it.

"Yes," I repeated. "We need your help, Suga."

Taehyung grumbled a couple of incoherent words of dismay behind me as he watched my exchange with the unearthly man. He couldn't have done more to show his displeasure at having to seek help from a person he thought of as an enemy. A threat. But Suga has proven himself more trustworthy than our more threatening enemy, Namjoon, in the past couple of events. Suga looked back and forth between the grumpy Taehyung and the pale-as-a-sheet J-hope.

Right, it was J-hope's first meeting with the mystical man and the shimmering, blue fog surrounding Suga must have been startling enough. Let alone the fact that Suga's feet weren't really touching the ground while he stood. It was going to take my brother a while to get accustomed to Suga's supernatural abilities. Meanwhile, Eunji stood with her eyes glowing with awe, but her arm remained securely entwined with J-hope's. You know, just in case. She'd honored us--at a quite unsuitable time--with a visit that morning. And at the mention of seeking out 'the blue fog man', she decided to tag along--quite determinedly and forcibly if I may say. So there we were, the whole herd standing before the unnervingly silent Suga, who seemed to calculate every detail of the situation as his eyes went from one member of us to the other.

"Follow me," he finally spoke.

"Wait--what?" Taehyung's arms opened wide to stop us from taking a step forward. "We talk here."

Suga turned back to face his untrusting opponent and said quietly, "You have placed your trust in me by seeking my help. If you do not wish to follow what I say, you may turn back and return to where it is you came from."

Things weren't going as we'd planned back at home before heading out. I knew Taehyung wasn't going to get along with Suga easily but we really needed his help and we couldn't afford for him turn his back on us.

"Taehyung." I had tried to convince Taehyung that morning before leaving to the forest. "I trust him. Please give him a chance."

"What I have seen of him so far wasn't so reassuring." He wasn't to be easily convinced. "So forgive me if I find it hard to fully trust this creature's words."

"This creature saved my life!" I'd exclaimed with frustration. There was no time to waste and we needed to find him quickly.

Eventually, it had taken one ticked off J-hope, who'd smacked the back of the younger man's head, to convince him to stick to the plan. "I am her brother. And I say we go."

Funny how my brother was the last one to offer any contribution once we actually got there.

"Very well," Taehyung finally said begrudgingly and held my hand tightly. "But you keep walking where I can see you."

***

"That's it?" Lara's lady friend blurted out.

It was fascinating how many safety measures humans took for measly issues. Like making sure they found a good hiding spot, or that they gathered enough weapons. Or even coming up with a way to find out if their attackers were approaching them or not.

Of course, none of this would be worrisome if they had possessed the same powers I do. Or did.

It became impossible for me to ignore that fact that I was getting weaker as the days passed. First, it was my senses. I realized it one day when I was actually caught off guard by a crow I hadn't noticed was hovering above me. Then, my reflexes. My powers weren't fast enough to block his menacing beak from pecking the back of my head. Crows of the forest weren't fond of me and, as if they could sense my powers becoming overpowered by their own, they'd decided to start bothering me.