Chapter Twenty Three

Five hours earlier

6:00 am

Suga's P.O.V.

A punch landed squarely on my jaw, knocking my head over to the side and momentarily making my vision blur. I then fell flat on my back with one of my attacker's fists clenching my collar and the other going for another hit. I'd already been battered out of my senses, and his punches were met no resistance. It was a pity to even waste what was left of my energy trying to break free. He had gone ballistic, and he had every right to. It was my fault they'd taken her. I practically led her into the palms of their hands.

It was my fault she was gone.

With every punch he threw, I could hear him yell something into my face, his wet eyes betraying his tough act of fury. But I couldn't make out his words from the buzz in my ears, it was taking all my energy to stay conscious long enough for him to let out his anger.

They'd held him back long enough for them to understand what had happened, but they were quick to realize that I was of no more help. I didn't know where they'd taken her or what they would do to her. Even my lost powers deemed me useless. Realizing that, Taehyung had burst out in a growl and I was knocked down again in a matter of seconds.

"Taehyung, stop!" I heard a girl's voice in the distance. At the pace he was going, I found it surprising that I could still hear her hoarse voice at all.

Only when the bright sunlight hit my face, did I know they had lifted him off me. But even then, I lay in my place, waiting for the ringing in my ears to fade away and for my limp body to finally acknowledge the overwhelming surge of pain. Slowly, I was being lifted up by the shoulder into a sitting position, some sort of fabric rubbing against my bloodied face. When I cracked an eye open, Lara's friend, Eunji, was sitting in front of me, sobbing, as she patted my face with the cloth in her trembling hand. The two men were gone.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled as I watched her tend to my wounds sympathetically without a word.

"No." She shook her head weakly. "I know you tried to save her. Lara told me you're a good man."

I couldn't help but snort at the comment. Good. I didn't know what good was anymore. I think I had come to detest humans. Only trouble came from getting involved with them. At one point I wished I'd taken away all the energy Lara had possessed and disappeared to mind my own business. Alas, my foolish sentiments just had to interject. If only she wasn't Seohyun's daughter, I wouldn't have felt bad about ending her life on the spot. If only Seohyun had stayed with me instead of running off with some human.

If only she had loved me back.

A familiar sizzling sensation in my palms brought my attention to them. I still had some of it left after all, I thought dubiously. Should I just put an end to everything?

"They'll save her." Eunji clenched the cloth in her fist. It was more of self-assurance than a fact. "They must."

But I knew they were going to need all the luck and help they could get.

***

8:10 am

J-hope's P.O.V.

"God dammit, will you stop for one second?!"

"What for?!" I turned around, the veins pulsing in my neck with rage. "Until they get away with my sister?!"

My little sister. The only family I have left. My Lara.