Chapter Fifteen

I watched her receding form as she set foot on the path I had laid down, finally allowing her faith to follow the trail of shimmering blue footsteps that were taking all my strength to keep them proceeding.

I've known humans to be fickle, but that one was something else. Common sense would call for precaution but that was straight out stubbornness. How could she, a mere human, decline the offer of a creature as majestic as myself? But then again, I haven't exactly been the gentlest of beings recently, so charge reinstated. Leaving a couple of feet between us, I followed behind her as she brushed past the trees, the forest's edges almost near. She walked with such fervor, as if only death stood between her and the next quest when I was certain what laid ahead of her was just another mundane, mortal life. It was sure to be full of tedious routines until the mortal ages and rots away. That was all there was to a feeble human's life. So why would anyone trade power and immortality for numbered days as a human?

"Seohyun."

The petite woman jumped a little in her seat and turned to face me with wide, emerald green eyes and a hand on her chest. "You startled me."

She watched me as I walked around her and sat on the wooden log by her side. "That's not how you do it."

"My powers may not be a match for those of the all mighty Suga," she smiled and held out her palm, "but I enjoy what I can do no matter how insignificant it may seem to you."

I couldn't control the snort that escaped my mouth as I watched sparkling wisps twirl in her palm and form little, blue butterflies that shimmered for mere seconds then faded away in the darkness that still hovered in the early dawn.

"I've been kind enough on several occasions and offered to teach you how to use your powers properly," I said to the woman whom I'd shared the widths of this forest with for the past centuries. There was no spoken relationship between us. We were just two beings who, upon mutual agreement, decided to live peacefully within the same parameters despite our slight differences.

"Hush," she swatted her hand at me to leave. "You're scaring them away."

Ignorant woman, I thought with annoyance as I stood up. She was clueless as to what extent her unpolished powers could reach and, instead, decided to waste them on silly butterflies.

"I'll show you how it's done," I muttered and thrust my arms forward, fingers pointed towards her.

Shimmering, blue strings flowing out of the tips of my extended fingers turned and twisted their way towards Seohyun's back and like a sewn dress, the strings stitched a pair of giant, glistening, blue wings. Seohyun who was clearly used to my occasional shows, refused to react this time so I thought I ought to give her a little fright. Once the wings were laid majestically on either side of her shoulders, they splayed open and a single flutter was enough to send a gust of sand and grass flying around us.

When her feet were no longer touching the ground, Seohyun's hands flew to her face and she started screaming. "Suga, you blasted creature! Put me down this instance!"

"Have you ever flown before?" I called up to her.

"No! Thank you very much, I like my feet firm and steady on the ground!" she snapped and kicked the air with her feet. "Now put me down!"

"Alright." I shrugged and with a snap of my fingers, the wings burst into a cloud of glitter leaving her stunned in midair.

"SUGA!" With arms crossed and a smug smile on my face, I watched her squeal as she dropped ten meters down to the ground. I scooped her in my arms just a couple of feet before her death.