Chapter 7

"That's impressively optimistic of you, Jin." Namjoon sauntered into the room with his arms crossed.

"Namjoon, cease." King Jin grunted, brows knotted as he tried to hold his temper.

"I only stopped by to entertain our lovely guest." Namjoon leaned on the bed's post and smirked at me.

"I have performers whom I pay for that.." The king said and the butler took that as a signal and left, probably to call some magician. "Now go attend to y-" The king dissolved into a fist of coughs.

"Please calm down," I said as I placed a hand on his shoulder trying to get him to sit back.

"A king must be strong enough to overcome at least this to be able to carry a kingdom on his shoulders." Namjoon said in a mocking tone. "But I guess, only a true king would be able to."

"I'm warning you, Namjoon..." The king clasped his chest and groaned.

But by the way I saw the prince's eyes ablaze and his nostrils flare I knew this was no common brothers' quarrel. And it hit me. The prince must suffer from some sort of inferiority complex because he glared at the king in such a way that seemed too hateful to be mere jealousy. The prince sat on the bed next to his older brother's feet and leaned forward.

"You're only a love child who took what belongs to me just because you--" He spat.

The king grabbed his collar and pulled him close until their foreheads touched and their eyes bore into one another's. I took a step back, afraid to get shoved away in the middle of their dispute.

"If you don't leave this instant, I swear to God I'll banish you to the other side of the land," he threatened.

Foolishly relishing in the opportunity that his older brother was much weaker than him at that moment, Namjoon smacked the king's hand away and stood up, straightening his necktie.

"Ah, you don't wish for your lovely mistress to hear what vicious deeds you did once in your past," he said tauntingly. "Well, I guess anyone would be ashamed of murder."

"Namjoon!" The king roared. Someone knocked on the room's door but everyone ignored it. And I flattened my hands on my  ears.

"Stop it!" I yelled.

"Why?!" Namjoon yelled back at me and faced me, "Have you fallen that hard for him? What if I were to tell you that ten years ago, just to get on our father's good side, to prove to him that he is the one who'd follow our father's steps blindly, he chose what at that time I was too scared to agree to?"

With every word, he stepped closer to me until I could feel his breath on my face. The knocking on the door ceased and I heard the door open. I thought he might stop now that someone had joined us in the room, but no, he was determined on torturing his brother, mentally and physically as the king was panting and trying to get out of bed.

"Want to know what he did?" Namjoon said, taking a step back with a grin, striking his last blow. "To help my father punish a traitor, he followed him to burn a farmer's family alive."

"Stop it!" I screamed and a loud crash had us all frozen in shock.

Turning to look at the source, I saw a man motionlessly bent over a mess of metal objects on the floor and colorful rubber balls rolling all over the room. I couldn't see his face but the top of his head was a familiar silky brown and his long, slender fingers were shaking.

Taehyung.

After what seemed like an eternity of a frozen stage, no one moving, no one speaking, slowly, Taehyung rose to his feet, his magic box's contents scattered all around his feet.