Chapter Twenty

Taehyung raced down the hallway barefoot, hair disheveled, shirt half buttoned and belt hanging around his waist, grunting with every slam of his shoulder against the solid wood as he shoved his weight against the door, trying to break it open. Lara's shrill scream from within her room still echoing in his ears.

"Lara!" He called to her from outside. "Open the damn door!"

***

Two hours earlier.

"What was that?"

J-hope was starting to get on my nerves. "I said, I wasn't crying."

"But I'm sure I saw you tearing up when Eunji walked out of that door," he continued to torment me. Of course, I was upset my friend had to leave us and return back home, but I didn't cry about it. Maybe I got a little emotional but I wouldn't weep like I'm never going to see her again. She'd just stayed with us too long for me to easily get used to her absence.

"Well, wipe that frown off your face, my little sister." J-hope locked an arm around my shoulder and pulled me close for a hair ruffle. "Once I get that golden band on her finger, I'm keeping her locked in our house forever."

"Oh God, that sounded so wrong." I swatted his arm and laughed at his innocent act. "I'm not sure I'll allow you two to get married after all."

"You know you can't stop me." He crossed his arms and peered into my eyes.

I sighed and decided to walk away from this argument. "If we hadn't already picked out our dresses for the wedding, I would have pulled you right off the altar if I had to."

What a week it had been. Despite Eunji's protests that we wait until she talked to her parents about it before, I couldn't wait to start planning for the event ahead. I might have been a little too excited, but it was a great change from the recent events and I felt like our lives were finally getting on the right track. I might have also dreamt of this day basically all my life. Who doesn't wish for their best friend to actually become part of their family? Taehyung had unofficially become a member of the household and the more the merrier, right?

"Wrong." Taehyung walked into the living room in a fuss, a rolled up newspaper in hand. "This is absolute bullcrap."

J-hope nearly choked on his beer. "What is?" I asked.

"This!" He slapped the newspaper open on the table in front of us and flopped onto an armchair sitting at the periphery.

Snatching the printed papers closer to inspect, J-hope eyed Taehyung confusedly and took to reading the front title. "'His royal highness, King Jin and his younger sibling, Prince Namjoon's mysterious disappearance from public events has finally been clarified. The royal members are confirmed to have been traveling abroad on a journey to visit neighboring villages to strengthen overseas ties. Their return is yet to be announced and until further news of--' what the hell?"

"I guess they can't really announce to the public that the King was almost killed by his own brother," I shrugged but felt my shoulders stiffen slightly at the mention of Namjoon.

"Or that the king could possibly be dying from illness," Taehyung added.

"Hey, that was unnecessary of you to add," I snapped.

"Technically speaking, you were intending on killing him off, too," J-hope added from the side, a comment that only made Taehyung sulk deeper in his chair.

We haven't received any news or letters from Jin nor have we brought up the incident with the king in the past week since it had happened. Maybe because we had hoped that it would go away as we began to forget about it all together. Maybe all three participants –Taehyung, Jin and Namjoon- had had enough to realize that it deserved to end at that. But I had my doubts about one of the bunch. It didn't take much for a person to figure out what kind of person Namjoon is. His threats were a tad too spiteful, his eyes too hateful; it was hard to believe and rest assured that he might give up after one confrontation. And that terrified me.