Chapter Twenty Four

Patience is the key to success. Everything will eventually work out in the end. Rushing things will only make matters worse. That was my life motto. At least one of them. That is what I came to conclude today.

For instance, women. Marvelous creatures if dealt with with care and patience. But just one mistake or a slip of the tongue and you could open the gates to damnation. Therefore, going back to our topic, nothing good came out of being overly hasty. As a matter of fact, everything could come to an end.

"MOTHEEEEER! I'm too young and handsome to die," I pleaded as my hands held onto the quivering wall. The only thing separating us from plummeting to the ground a hundred or so feet below us was one clumsy step.

"Shut your yap already! Then maybe this mountain would stop shaking too hard!" Taehyung, who had the audacity to blame our near death on me, snarled.

I was speechless. "Oh! Oh, really?! You blasted fool!" My outburst was making my grip weaker but I couldn't handle his arrogance a second longer. To hell with us dying. "If you hadn't thrown yourself over these rocks trying to get up the mountain faster and instead followed the damned paved pathway like I originally suggested, maybe we wouldn't be stranded up here holding on to crumbling dust for dear life!"

"I'm not wasting a second until I get into that cave up there and save Lara," he argued.

"Brilliant. Yes. Like us dying on the way there could save her any faster."

After our outburst, we grew too tired to argue anymore and the bright sun above our heads didn't make it any easier. We were so close to the cave Lara could be held hostage in, but we couldn't move an inch closer. We had already exerted most of our energy climbing up this ridiculously high mountain and we couldn't afford to make one more clumsy mistake. God only knew what awaited us up there. Thankfully, after our knees began to grow weak from the long wait, the heavens took pity on us and the quivering of the rocks ceased.

You would think the fool would have learned from his mistake, but just as soon as I uttered the words "I think it stopped moving--," he skipped onto the nearest stable footing and raced ten steps ahead of me. By the time I had managed to catch up and the cave was in full view, he had already disappeared.

Starting to panic, I lost my footing and stumbled a couple of steps forward but my hands held onto a solid wall just in time, saving me an ungraceful fall on all four. When I looked up, I could recognize Taehyung's back in the dim lighting of the cave. He had also managed to acquire a sword and it was currently resting on the side of a man's neck.

Good God, the man was fast.

In front of Taehyung stood a man with his back to him. It wasn't long before I recognized said man as Namjoon, the prince, and our kidnapper. And they both stood before a metallic cage that held the pale-as-a-sheet Lara.

The pitiful, gaunt look on her face twisted my guts with rising rage. Despite knowing close to absolutely nothing about what was going on and why Lara was kidnapped in the first place, I couldn't help feeling disgusted at the extents one would go for because of their selfish needs. Her tear-smeared, flushed face proved that she had been crying for longer than a lady should. And by her smudged and tattered dress, it was evident that she hadn't been treated kindly either.

"I'll give you to the count of three to get her out," Taehyung seethed as Namjoon stood motionless.

"I would advise you to be quick," I added as I walked towards them.

"One."

Namjoon's hand finally came to life and reached for his back pocket to pull out a single, rusty key. But once it was out in his grip, he took his time examining the cage's lock.