Prologue

The sun has gone down a long time ago and now only the lights from my truck illuminate the scene in front of me

The sun has gone down a long time ago and now only the lights from my truck illuminate the scene in front of me.  The girl tied to the tree has been waiting for hours now.  Her hands are above her head, secured to a branch, and her legs are tied loosely to the trunk to keep her from kicking. She's hanging there, too tired to stand on her own any longer, sobbing quietly. 

She's through with the usual yelling: "What do you want? Where am I? What are you doing? Please! Please, don't hurt me! Please, let me go. I won't tell anyone," sobbing, crying, shouting and crying again. 

She can yell and cry all she wants for all I care. Where I've taken her, where I always take them, no one can hear. No one wanders to these parts of the forest. The sound doesn't carry around here.

When they wake up here, most often there is confusion at the beginning. Sometimes, very rarely, there is recognition. But then, the pleading, sobbing, promising of all kinds of things, that all come eventually. Every single time. I don't really care for that. 

The thing I enjoy about this is the calm surrounding me when I see the life leaving their body, the moment when they realize this is the end. They no longer hold power over anything. No money or connections would help them. Here, they aren't better than anyone. The longer I let them wait for it to sink in, the sweeter that moment of realization is. 

It's been long enough now, so I put on my gloves again and come a little closer. 

Her head snaps to my direction, as she hears me moving for the first time in the hours she spent here with me. When I'm close enough I reach for her. I caress her from her sides to her arms. She flinches and I can feel her trembling under my fingertips, but she starts her pleading again despite her nerves.

"P-please, let- let me go. I won't tell!" She's stammering over the words as my hands travel to her neck. "Please, t-talk to me, I-I... I'll do w-whatever you want. J-just let me go-"

I snort at that. This stuck-up bitch has been treating me like dirt, ever since she first showed up at the shop, acting like she would get dirty just from me touching her car. 

I close both my hands around her neck and look into her eyes. Not because her words have any impact on me. There is nothing I want from her. Well, maybe just one thing flashes through my mind as I squeeze, cutting her air supply.

I add the pressure. She's trying to talk to me again, but she can't. It takes a few minutes but then...yeah! There it is...her eyes that were just staring at me, pleading with me, lose the fight. Her body is still jerking but her eyes, they know already.

And then she's gone. Only the body's left. I break her neck for good measure and take a deep breath, to savor the moment. It's not enough though. It's never enough. Maybe I'll try to prolong it somehow the next time. It was over too soon.

  I hope you enjoy the story

  I hope you enjoy the story. If you do, feel welcome to push that little star to let me know, or better yet, leave me a comment ;)