Chapter 22

The ride home is quiet

The ride home is quiet. I'm thinking about everything and I have to wonder if the rat couldn't be someone who Wade pissed off. The anonym did mention only him to the cops, not me, not Trevor, only Wade. The cops didn't even know specifics like 'a black guy and a white guy was with him'. Maybe it's some kind of warning, but from who? I didn't want to bring it up before, in case Wade actually did have some enemies he'd think could be behind this. I'll talk to him about it tomorrow. I'm positive he wouldn't want to discuss it in front of Trevor and Lana.

And speaking of Lana, I am also kinda curious about the story behind her hate for the cops now. But it's linked to her scar and I more or less promised I wouldn't ask about it. So I'm not sure how to go about it and not break that promise. I sneak a glance her way and see her deep in thoughts of her own. She hasn't said a word during the whole trip either.

"Do we have something to eat at the house?" I rasp quietly, my throat is dry. It successfully breaks her out of her musing.

"What?"

"I asked if there is something to eat at home, or do we need to stop somewhere. We'll be passing the last fast food place in a minute."

"Oh, right! No, I don't think there is. I didn't have time to go grocery shopping so the leftovers we ate yesterday were the last we had, I think."

"Alright, I'll stop there then."

She just gives me a nod and turns back to the window. I won't be saying some shit about this whole thing ending alright, I'm on edge because of this situation too. No one likes to have pigs sniffing around.

We are driving into the parking lot soon after. It's after dinner time but the diner is quite full of people. Ugh, I am in no mood to be around anyone. I fish some bills and thrust them into Lana's hand, she looks down at it, a bit perplexed so I clarify.

"I'll wait here, wanna smoke. I'll have whatever you are having as long as it's not something full of green leaves."

"Men!" she mutters but takes the money before leaving the car with a small smile on her face. I'm pretty sure that was the first smile I saw on her since Wade's visit yesterday. And I think I know exactly how to cheer her up, and myself for that matter.

I get out and let the door open to let some air inside the cabin, it's getting darker, the sun went down and the temperature is finally somewhat tolerable, so I light a smoke outside and wait.

She doesn't take as long as I thought she would. She's not far from me when I hear yelling.

"Hey! Hey, Lana! Wait up!" I look past her and see a short brunette jogging between other cars after her. Lana glances behind her too and when she sees who it is she turns back with a roll of her eyes. She quickly closes what's left of the distance between us and hands me the bags.

"Could you put this inside, I'll just say hi." And without waiting for my response she goes to greet the girl. I look down at the bags and for some reason, the words lost puppy pop out in my head. I shake it, no, being decent to my girl doesn't mean I'm some lost puppy. As I turn to do just as she asked, I hear her call out, "Oh hey, Emma, I didn't see you inside."

I sit in the truck and wait for her. I can see them from my seat and it looks like it'll take awhile because the brunette keeps talking, she goes on and on, so I look inside the bags and pick the bigger burger. I didn't realize how hungry I am until I smell the food. I wolf it down in a matter of minutes, wait for a few more and then decide to go fetch her. Not that I mind her talking to people, I just want to go home already.

I get out again and walk to them. The other girl is still talking but as she sees me approach she stops with a startled expression on her face.

"Um, Lana, I think we should go somewhere else."

"What? Why?" Lana asks and looks around, searching for what made the other girl so nervous only to find me.

"Oh! It's okay, that's my-" and she stops and looks at me again like she's asking for help, but with what? When I don't say anything she finishes. "-Jackson. I mean, that's Jackson, we live together now." That information doesn't seem to settle the girl at all. She keeps giving me worried glances while whispering to Lana like I couldn't hear it from this distance.

"Like together together? Are you sure that's a good idea? Honey, I know you must be devastated after what happened with Anthony, but this guy?"

"Hey, you stupid bitch. I can hear you so-" But Lana cuts me off.

"-You know what, Emma? I don't see how, where or with whom I live with is any of your business. You don't know anything about what happened with Anthony either, save for some bullshit gossips, so don't tell me how I do or don't feel about it. I'll talk to you about the paper tomorrow at school. We're leaving!" She grabs my shirt and starts to drag me to the truck. I glance back to see the girl staring at us, her mouth opening and closing like a fish. Damn! I bet she'd look exactly the same while choking. I would wipe that dumb look right off.

When I check again after starting the truck she's gone. What are the chances someone would link it to me through Lana if the bitch disappears? I glance at Lana as we leave the parking lot and get on the road again.

"Friend of yours?" I ask.

"Did it seem to you like she's my friend?" She starts, sounding a bit pissed but when she sees my smirk she calms down, clearing her throat she continues. "Sadly I do need to talk to people at school at times. We do have these projects here and there which we have to do in groups or in pairs. Well, she's my other half for this semester. I don't like her much but, you know, I have to work with her if I wanna get a decent evaluation." She sighs and starts with her food, popping some fries in her mouth.

"Can't you get another partner?"

"Not this close to the exams. She was okay at first but then, well you heard, she's too dumb and nosy for my taste. I have a hard time to get her to shut up and get on with the work we have." She talks between her bites. She manages to talk and eat and not to look like a pig. I wish Wade could do that. "Honestly, I think I'd be better off on my own."

"Really, how come?"

"Well obviously because the time she's talking about bullshit that I don't give a crap about I could work on the paper, it's not like she's that much of a help."

"Hmm." I leave the conversation at that, there would be more complications from this than I need right now anyway. I'll have to find someone else, again.

After few more minutes, I'm pulling over in front of our house. When we enter Lana turns to her room. Oh no, no, no, no. I grab her arm and pull her to me until her whole front is nicely pressed against me. I bend down a bit and murmur.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"I just wanted-"

"-I wanna fuck, how about you?" 

I hope you enjoy the story. If you do, feel welcome to push that little star to let me know, or better yet, leave me a comment ;)