Chapter 14

We got the boxes piled up inside in no time

We got the boxes piled up inside in no time. Most of it in Lana's room, some in the living room.

Now I'm sitting at the table drinking my beer and watching Wade hovering over Lana, trying to steal whatever she's working on. All I hear is her slapping his hand away and him complaining about her not being nice enough to him.

After one rather loud slap, he shouts out, "Hey! That's the treatment I get after I so generously helped you out?"

"If you had helped me out of pure generosity, you wouldn't want anything in return. But that's not the point, I simply don't want to accidentally cut your fingers off, so have a beer or something and wait for it to be done."

He waves his bottle in front of her face. "I am having a beer, I wanted a snack with it, but if you are going to threaten me with a knife I'll just go and take my generosity elsewhere," he says it with a grin on his face and she smiles back at him. He looks at the boxes again as if contemplating something, then turns back to her and asks, "So, what's up with the books anyway? You wanted to start your own library or something?"

Lana laughs but it's somewhat bitter. "No, I have all of them because of this thing we did with my dad. I always loved to read and I don't remember when it actually started, but we went to the bookstore once a week and I got to choose one that he bought for me. He always read it too, so we could talk about it after... He was great," she finishes quietly.

"Was? What happened?" Wade asks after having a big swig of his beer. Lana starts to fidget in her spot but of course, he doesn't pick up on that.

"He's dead," she says keeping her eyes glued to the vegetable she's cutting. "I'd rather not talk about it."

Wade looks my way, raising eyebrows. I shrug, what do I know? It's not like we braid our hair and tell each other secrets in the evenings. He turns back to her.

"Well, at least one of us had a father that gave a shit." Lana looks at him. "You don't wanna know, believe me." He shrugs off the potential question before she even opened her mouth.

Who knows, maybe she wasn't about to ask anything anyway. Because her only reaction is a silent nod and continuing with her cooking. I enjoy the silence that follows for a minute or two until Wade looks from her to me and then sighs exaggeratedly.

"You know, you two are so much fun to be around! Neither of you seems to shut up!"

I snort. "Even if I wanted to say anything I wouldn't have a chance since you don't shut your mouth. Ever." I look to where Lana is. She's throwing everything into the pan, the oil is hissing and it starts to smell delicious almost instantly. I didn't even realize how hungry I am until now. My eyes shift to Wade as he starts talking, again.

"Someone has to fill the silence so we don't get bored to death." He leans closer to Lana. "You were fun enough the other night, want me to get you a drink? We could make a night of it!"