Chapter 4

My eyes flick yet again to the cracked open door

My eyes flick yet again to the cracked open door. It's been more than four hours since we put her things in her room and since then, nothing. She wasn't kidding about being quiet. If there wasn't the light coming from her side of the house I wouldn't even know someone else is in here with me. 

I find myself being curious so I leave the TV on and go see what she's doing. I push the door more open and there she is, her back to me. She's sitting on the bed. Books and papers with notes everywhere around her. But she doesn't seem to focus on them, she's looking outside the window. I can hear her sniff very quietly.

Okay, nothing for me to see here. Why did I come here anyway?

I try to retreat back but the door screeches and the noise startle her. She quickly turns around to see me between her door, hand on the handle. Her eyes glassy. 

Great, another point for me, way to look like an old creeper. 

But to my surprise, she lets out the breath that got stuck in, wipes off her tears and attempts to smile at me.

"Wow, you move like a ghost. Do me a favor and stomp a little or something next time."

I crack a smile too. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. You were just so quiet in here. Thought you fell asleep with the lights on or something."

"Yeah, I wish. I got this test tomorrow, I've been studying like crazy but I still don't get some things. I wanted to go through it one more time but.." she trails off.

"Test, huh. So you still go to school then?" I ask, why didn't I ask what she's doing before again?

She's quick to answer. "Yeah, I do, don't worry though. I do have a job too, I will pay you the rent. No problem there."

"Oh no, I wasn't worried about that." I study her for a moment, she looks very young. And I realize I didn't even ask her how old she is, crap. Well, no sense in making that interview now. "You okay?" I ask her in the end.

"Yeah." She nods quickly. "Thanks though, for asking."

I look around the room, it seems like she hasn't really unpacked yet. "Go to sleep. You won't learn anything from staring at the window, you'll just be tired."

"Yeah, you are probably right. I'll just put these on the desk," she says as she gets up, gathering all the papers. Her eyes find mine. "Good night, Jackson."

Okay, time for me to leave, gotcha.

"Night." With that, I close the door. I need to sit with her and ask her a few things, but it can wait 'till tomorrow.

_______________________________________________________________________

When I get up next morning I see her car is gone, so are the spare keys from the hook by the door I pointed out to her yesterday. It's fucking 5:30 am when the hell did she leave? I turn to the kitchen to make a coffee just to see that there is a pot already made. Huh, guess having a roommate has its ups, I'm thinking while fixing myself a cup.