Chapter 6

When I wake up I can see through the window that the sun is high in the sky

Guess I slept in. I'm trying to get my brain to work when I hear a noise from the kitchen. What th- oh, right, Lana. Okay, let's have this out of the way.

I get up and go to look for her. Maybe she made a coffee. I need a coffee first before this talk. Or I just need some more time to think about what I'm actually going to say. I have no idea.

I leave my room but immediately stop in my track and double take. What the hell? This is not right! Something is off with the place! I look around the space from the part that is my living room to the right where is the kitchen. There stands Lana a coffee pot in one hand a cup in the other.

I narrow my eyes at her while she's looking back at me. She looks away first. I watch her fill the cup, get another one from the cabinet and she fills it too.

Clearing her throat, she asks, "How do you take your coffee?"

I ignore the question and ask my own. "You've been cleaning here?"

"Well, yeah, it helps me think."

"You touched my stuff?"

She shakes her head quickly. "No, not really. I just got rid of the mess, I didn't move any of your stuff, it's just rearranged." I take one more look around. I'll check later.

"Black, sugar."

She blinks. "Excuse me?" She asks slowly.

I motion to the cup still in her hand. "The coffee, I take it black with sugar."

She looks down at it as if she forgot she was holding it. But then she starts moving, adding sugar to my coffee and milk to hers. I can see her hands shaking a little. Maybe she's nervous, though when she looks back at me her expression screams determined. She sits on one of the stools by the counter and looks expectantly at me.

So I leave my spot before my door and go sit with her. I sip on my coffee, thinking what the hell I'm gonna tell her. But before I even start to form something in my head she's talking.

"Last night, I was thinking and... You don't really want a roommate, right?"

I want to deny it but she beats me to it.

"You don't really need the money either, do you? You wouldn't make the rent so cheap if you did."

I open my mouth to talk again but she holds one hand up to stop me and continues.

"I don't care what your reason for this is. I was thinking about it yesterday, a lot and I decided it's not really important." She looks down at her hands which have been playing absently with her cup, she then looks up.

"Look, the thing is, I don't really have a family to turn to for help, or friends for that matter. I managed to finish high school and since then I was working my ass off trying to save the money so I could go to this nursing program. But the only reason I was able to start and make it through this year was that I didn't have to pay the rent where I was staying. So I really do need this room. I seriously doubt I will be able to find something this cheap and even with the job at the clinic, I'm sure I will be forced to drop out again." She takes a deep breath.