Chapter 28

"The person you are calling is not available at the moment

"The person you are calling is not available at the moment. Please try-" I hang up. I've been trying for an hour. His phone is off. Any other day I would dismiss it. It's Saturday afternoon, he could be just sleeping off his hangover, but the new information about that cheery fuck makes my stomach churn.

I already called Clyde, who hasn't seen Wade since Thursday night. I asked him to check his house, and reluctantly he did, but no one's there. I called a few other of his buddies, places he hangs out frequently but nothing. Fuck! I can feel it. Something's not right. I even thought about calling Trevor, but eventually dismissed the thought. It's very unlikely I'd find my brother there. I really don't know who, or where else to call. I go back to Lana who's still in my room. She calmed down but got quiet after that, too quiet. That's why I called Wade instead of going there in the first place. She's too out of it.

I find her in the exact same spot I left her an hour ago. Sitting on my bed, staring out of the window. I drag a chair to sit in front of her. Petting her legs I try to get her attention.

"Lana, I need you to focus now. You said he just stood there, looking at you? He didn't even try to get closer? To talk to you?" Nothing. "Lana!" I raise my voice a bit. Nothing. I don't have time for his shit, so I slap her. Not very hard, just enough. "Come on! I need you to wake up from this!" She jerks back and her eyes slide to me. There we go. I reach for her face but she flinches away, making me sigh.

"Hey, hey, easy. I'm sorry 'bout the slap, okay? But I've been trying to get a hold of Wade for the past hour and I can't find him. You need to talk to me." 

Her eyes drop, she takes a deep shaky breath as if to start talking, but eventually just shakes her head. 

"Darling? I'm sorry but I have to insist. I know I told you I won't ask about that, but I think we can agree on the fact that the situation has changed. I need you to tell me what you know about the guy. NOW!" I'll be damned if something happens to my brother only because she's too scared to talk about shit!

A single tear slides down her cheek and she whispers. "I don't know where to start. And all those memories, it's just- it's just too much. Too-"

"-You have to. This all, it's no fucking coincidence. Did you know he's still after you?" I'm really trying to be patient, but I'm anything but. I'm angry! I don't know if it's at her, at myself, at the situation, I'm just raging inside. I think I'm angry mostly because I don't know what to do. What can I do?

"No, I didn't! I didn't hear from any of them for more than six years."

"Them?" Why didn't I ask her about anything? "FUCK! Lana, darling, I like you, I really do, but I won't be responsible for what I'll do if you don't start talking and I mean now! If you didn't notice my brother is fucking nowhere to be found! Wade, remember him?" I'm yelling at this point, Wade seems to be missing and my patience got to its limit.