Chapter Eleven

"Hey, Ash. Your brother's looking for you. I didn't tell him anything though. I'm sorry about last night, I was...actually, you know what, never mind. Just meet me in the gym at lunch. Bye."

Jace's voicemail played in my head as I approached the gym. After I'd listened to the voicemail, Macie and I had ignored each other for the entire lesson, but I could still feel her glaring at me without even looking at her. I was scared when she said Jace and I were acting weird. I couldn't have her catch on, because I wasn't even sure what was going on with us. First, he acts all tough, and now he wants to talk?

God damn this boy.

I spotted Jace and went up to him, smiling lightly at him. "Drew will be wondering where we are."

Jace waved away my concern and pulled me into an empty classroom nearby.

"I promised him I'd try to talk some sense into you. He was worried sick last night. I thought you'd call him last night about not coming home. He called me, fretting over you. I didn't tell him we'd talked earlier though." Jace explained.

"I know, you said." I grumbled in response. I was sick of this; Jace couldn't keep going back and forth with me. He either leaves me alone or talks to me.

I felt anger rising up in me as I added, "You also said sorry for last night. Are you ready to talk about it now?"

Jace hesitated, before shaking his head.

"There's nothing to talk about."

Oh, that's it.

"There's nothing to talk about?! How can you say that?! You act like you hate me, and then you kiss me. And to make matters worse, you keep doing the same thing over and over again. You can't keep doing this to me, Jace!!" I yelled.

Jace looked at me for a second before wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close.

"I'm sorry, I'm just...scared." He admitted, avoiding my eyes.

"Don't do this. Don't go back to sweet Jace, I know it won't last." I had to cut this off before it got any worse. I had enough stress without worrying about what the hell was going on with us.

"I'm straight, but then there's you. My best friend's brother." He continued, letting out a humorless laugh against my ear. His arms were still around my waist, so I tilted his chin and made him look at me.

"You say you're scared, but I'm scared too, Jace. You go from just an annoying pest that's always around to an attractive annoying pest that kisses me." I said, trying to lighten the mood. Jace let out a chuckle.

"But we can't keep doing this. You either like me or hate me, make a choice."

Jace held me closer and put his lips against mine. Our tongues worked together skillfully as a moan escaped my lips. Jace pulled away from me breathlessly and gave me a slightly scared expression.

"I want this."

"Are you sure?" I questioned. "You don't look sure."

Jace nodded and pecked my lips once more. "I really do. We just can't tell Drew."

"We really can't tell Drew." I confirmed with a laugh. Knowing Drew, he'd go crazy. I didn't think he could handle the knowledge that his best friend and his brother were tongue-fucking right now. I pushed my thoughts away and looked at Jace doubtfully. "How am I supposed to trust your word? That you won't change your mind?"

"I'll never talk to you again if I hurt you, Ash. I'm just asking for this one chance." Jace said hopefully. I hesitated for a second before nodding, deciding to trust him once more and give him another chance.