Chapter Forty-Three

*Ash's point of view*

About half an hour later, I reached Northside emergency hospital, and to tell you the truth I was freaked.

I also felt kind of guilty. I had spent half my life being angry at my dad but now that he was in hospital I felt bad for not giving him a second chance, like Drew did.

But then again, I am not Drew and I could never forgive my dad for not coming to Drew's funeral.

Maybe, though I could forgive him for everything else. Maybe

I rolled my head back, yawned and pulled out my phone from my pocket. I dialed mum's number to see where she was.

"Hey, mum. Where you at?" I asked gently when she picked up.

"I'm in your father's room with Leyla."

"Leyla?" Mum hates Leyla.

"Asher, her husband nearly died. My hate for her isn't important right now." She said, forcefully. "Plus, I don't hate her very much anymore."

"Fuck did i say that out loud?." I hate myself. I need to get this problem checked out.

Ugh.

"Take a guess Ashy." Mum said softly. Her voice also had a hint of humor. Why did everyone laugh at me?

I really want today to be over.

"Ha-ha mother." I said sarcastically. "Look I'll ask the lady at the front desk for the room number and meet you there."

"Alright, love you Ashy."

"Yeah, cya mum. You too." I said, hanging up and walking to the front desk.

"Hello, how can I help you?" The lady asked. She had bright blonde hair and wore a bored expression. To be honest, I don't understand how you could be bored at an emergency hospital.

Well, she could always be a psychopathic lady who wasn't affected by stab wounds and stroke victims.

I laughed out loud, but when the lady shot me a weird look, I quickly recovered.

"Ah, can you tell me what room Andrew Riley Sage?"

The lady nodded and looked at her computer. "Are you a relative?"

"I'm his son," I said.

"ID please."

I sighed and pulled out my driver's license out of my pocket. After I had shown the lady, I put it away.

"Okay thank you. He is in room 236 on level two."

I said thank you to the lady and headed towards the elevator. Once I reached level two, I attempted to look for the room. Meanwhile, I watched as nurses and doctors rushed past me.

Why did my family always end up in hospital? I swear to God it's freaky.

I finally found my dad's room and saw that it was empty. I figured that mum and Leyla would be at the hospital cafe or something for dinner, considering it was like ten.

When I entered the room, I didn't knock, which was something I probably should have done. \

Looking at my dad was shocking. His skin matched the paleness of the hospital room and his eyes looked empty. I'd never seen him look so sick.

"Ashy!" He attempted to sound happy to see me.

"Hi, dad." I greeted as I sat down on a nearby chair. "How are you feeling?"

"Alright thanks mate. Your mum and Ley have gone to fetch some coffee."

"You better not be having any."

"Oh calm down Ash, I won't be." He said, attempting to sit up in the bed.

His attempt failed.

"Right-oh then."

"How is Uni going Ash?" He asked conversationally.

I sighed. What was he doing? He had never cared before. "It's fine dad, how is work?"

"Stressful as always. I heard about Jace. I'm glad you got rid of that harmful boy and now you can start healing."

"Dad.."

The sad thing about homophobia is that it is always disguised as concern and the homophobic person actually believes they are trying to help. I am glad I know that now, because years ago I probably would have walked out, but now I know how to ignore ignorance.

"Alright Ash. Look it's getting late. You probably should head home. It was great to see you."

I nodded and yawned. "Probably, I hope you're okay, I'll see ya dad."

I got up and stood there for a moment. I don't think I had ever seen my dad look this weak.

Why was I ever afraid of him? Why did I ever care what he thought of me? He's just a person.

And he's not stronger than me.

I made my way towards the hospital room door just as mum and Leyla came back. They both looked tired and worried.

"Yo," I greeted.

"Oh, Asher, hello." Leyla said with a strained smile. I had always found it shocking that she had the heart to be nice to me when I was just a bitch to her. It was refreshing to find a nice person these days. I think I kind of forgive her anyways; it's not her fault she fell in love with my dad and it's not my place anymore to be angry at her on behalf of my mother.

"Ash, where are you off too?" Mum asked grabbing my arm gently.

"Ah, I think I'm going to head back to my apartment. I'll come and see dad tomorrow, " I said loud enough for dad to hear, as well as mum. Mum just nodded and went back to dad's bedside. Leyla did the same.

I turned back one last time and smiled. We've been through a lot. All of us have. And at one point or another we all have been at rock bottom. Maybe that's Jace right now. Maybe I was being an ass.

When I made my way out of the hospital, the hot night air hit me. I turned on my phone and checked the time; it was 11 pm. I bit my lip and scrolled through my contacts and sent a text.

JACE: Hey, lets talk tomorrow. Text me when you're free.

I then made a phone call and after a few rings, he picked up.

"Hey Jamie, what's up?'