Chapter Forty

The truth was, I didn't care about the money. I mean, I could get it else where. I just knew I had to face Drew's room at some point.

And standing inside of it, my emotions went wild. I looked from the dark blue bedding towards the photo of Drew and I on the wall.

I remembered the day that photo was taken. It was our 16th birthday.

"Dad's home!" I yelled at the sound of dad pulling up our driveway.

I raced out of the door to meet my father, who had left for work before I'd woken up. When he spotted me, he smiled.

"Ashy! Happy 16th buddy." Dad said, enveloping me in a hug. "Where's your brother?"

"Helping mum cook." I explained as we both walked inside. I was glad that my dad was home earlier tonight. Also I hope he didn't leave after dinner like he always did.

"Babe, how was work?" Mum said smiling and attempting to kiss my dad, but he avoided it.

What's going on?

"Fine."

"Hey dad!" Drew greeted, coming out of the kitchen.

"Drew! Happy birthday." Dad hugged Drew.

"How was work?"

"It was alright thanks Andrew." Dad said, still smiling. Why was he being cold to mum but not Drew or me?

Again; what's going on?

I didn't want to say anything. I didn't want to ruin tonight.

Dad glanced at mum and then back at us. "Can you boys go upstairs? Just for a minute?"

"Sure dad." Drew said and pulled me upstairs. Drew was always doing things without questioning them. And why did he ALWAYS pull me upstairs?

My arm is gonna break one day, I swear.

"What's going on Drew?" I said once Drew and I were inside his bedroom.

"I don't know, but it's none of our business."

I pulled my eyebrows in. "They're our parents, it is our business."

Drew shook his head and opened our window. "It doesn't matter, Jace will be here soon anyways."

"Of course he will be."

Just as I said that, Jace came through the window. "Hello birthday boys! Picture time."

I groaned. Jace did this every year. I'll be glad when he gives up photography as a hobby.

Jace snapped the picture and I looked at Drew and then back at Jace. "What was your plan? To have Jace sit in here until it's bedtime?"

"More or less," Jace said with his normal cheeky grin.

I laughed.

"What?" I heard mum's voice boom through the house.

"Shut up guys. I wanna listen." I said to Jace and Drew. They both rolled their eyes.

"I said I'm leaving you for Leyla. I can't say that any louder!" Dad yelled back at mum.

What? This has to be a mistake, or a joke. Right?

I tried to listen for anything else, but all I heard was the front door slam shut. At that, I bolted downstairs, and when I did I knew what was happening.

Mum was in tears and dad was gone. But I didn't want to believe what was actually happening, was indeed happening.

"Ash!" Jace and Drew called after me.

Mum looked up and glanced at Jace in surprise but said nothing. I don't think she cared about anything at the moment.

"Mum what's happening?" I said softly.

"Ashy.. Dad is gone. I'm so sorry." Mum said pulling me into a hug.

That was the last time I ever thought of my dad as the best guy in the world.

~~~

"Drew I swear, if you magically appear right now, I'll never sin again," I pleaded with the air.

I could just imagine Drew's reply. "You're made of sins Ashy," He'd say.

I sighed and sat down on his bed. What was I even doing in here? Was I trying to hurt myself worse?

I took a deep breath and fled Drew's bedroom. I couldn't be in this house anymore. Too many memories. I quickly packed everything from my room and left the house.

Sure I had no money, but I could always free-ride. Back to the times when I was broke, oh I was still broke. What was I saying.

Once outside of the house, I made my way to the train station. I needed to work, I needed a distraction. And money.

Luckily, a train was pulling up at the station as soon as I arrived. I quickly walked past the paying machine and sat down on a chair. Only to notice who I was sitting next to.

Macie! "Macie?"

"Oh, Ash. Why'd you say my name twice?"

I couldn't answer. Macie looked so different, her hair was a darker shade and I saw a fresh tattoo of two coloured pencils on her shoulder. That was such a odd tattoo because Macie wasn't an artist. Wait, pencils are to draw. Fuck. She missed him.

Or maybe I was just reading into things.

"Actually don't answer that. I forgot about your habit."

I smiled. "How could you forget?"

Macie laughed, "I don't know. Did you and Jace break up?"

"You're so straightforward. But yes, we did."

Why wasn't I mad at her? I felt like a should be, but I had no energy. Plus Macie was hard to be mad at. She'd been my friend for years.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Wait what're you sorry for?"

Macie bit her lip and flattened her sundress. "Everything, you know for things back in highschool and the Jace thing."

"Right."

"Okay," Macie said. "I heard you're doing creative writing at Uni."

I nodded. "What are you doing?"

Macie smiled. "Secondary Education."

"Oh, you'd make a great teacher."

Macie smiled. "Not a great as what Drew would have been."

Man, did that comment hit me hard.