Chapter 8 - The aftermath

To say I was disappointed was an understatement. I was devastated.

The soon as my lips locked with his, I had expected the earlier waves fire that had burned their way through my body when Kyle had cornered me. Instead, that fire fused down to a simmering flame that barely touched me when I kissed James.

He was the one to break the kiss because I took him by surprise.

"Keya?" He said his tone a mixture of worry, confusion and excitement.

"Shh." I pressed my fingers on his lips. "I had to do that."

"You're so full of surprises." He grinned dreamily as he leaned down to capture me in another kiss. I stopped it quickly before it escalated into something more, something more like feeling his tongue in my mouth. I didn't want that. I told myself at least not yet anyway.

Because my back was starting to ache from all the burning holes emitting from Kyle's glare, I had to turn around to look at him.

I gave him an I-dare-you-to-do-something look, but he just narrowed his eyes at me, both his jaw and hands clenching. He closed his eyes as he breathed in deeply and by the time he breathed out and opened his eyes, he disappeared into the darkness of the hallway.

I could have felt smug if it wasn't for the guilt that was sipping its way inside me.

Damn you Kyle! I thought. Why the hell am I feeling guilty for?

James tugged me back to his attention and I basked in his grinning face, it slowly appeased the guilt. But, the fact that I could still feel it meant that I was still slightly sober.

So what's a better way to block out your sorrows than to drink? That's what I had done for the hours of partying that followed. I danced with James and then we drank. We talked, we laughed and we drank some more until I just couldn't remember anything.

Whatever guilt I felt had long seized. It completely wiped its way out of my system when I saw Kyle in the midst of the crowd on the sofa talking with someone whose face I recognised belonged to Mandy Braxton. He was grinning from ear to ear and she was smiling too, leaning towards him in the process.

For a long moment as I watched the two of them looking at each other that way, a slow but tearing jealousy hit my system, completely knocking me off course. Because I was also drunk, this meant that I couldn't walk away from the scene without staggering and bumping into people.

I don't know how I ended up in James's arms, but I did.

"There you are, you...you keep slipping away from me." He slurred his words, a result from his drunken state.

"My knight in shining silver armour!" I threw myself at him.

"If there's anything that's shinning and silver, it's your gorgeous eyes!"

I swooned because I was not myself and because the song that was playing was so overwhelming we found ourselves slow-dancing to it.

"C'mon...let's go somewhere q-quiet!" He moved away from the living room, dragging me to one of the bedrooms.

This is it. I thought drunkenly to myself. I am finally going to lose my virginity!

As he barged to one of the rooms, the occupants in it were making sexual mournful noises. The noises stopped as soon as they heard the door banging open.

"Dude, get the fúck out!" A male voice boomed.

"Who is it?" My slowly processing brain recognised that voice, it was Sav's voice.