Chapter 23 - Stranger danger?

Senior Prom was a blast. From the moment we stepped into intricately decorated masquerade-themed venue people were already enjoying themselves. The night went by smoothly. Our school didn't believe in Prom Kings or Queens, so that was excluded during the partying. According to the school protocol, basically every student was their own king or queen.

After forgiving Sav, Kyle and Ned were the ones more relieved. That following week they took us out to their version of so-called double dating. It was pretty weird all of us going out together as couples. Once upon a time we were a group with an unbreakable friendship so it was hard not to see us as before—just four friends hanging out together, enjoying each other's company.

Now that Sav and I were talking again, it became a lot easy during that week. Although I was pretty much reserved in her company, she was trying her best to make me trust her again.

I enjoyed prom a lot more than I expected.

Kyle had been a perfect gentleman throughout the night; he never left my sight; always remaining attentive to what I wanted. We danced, sung, ate and danced more until we couldn't any longer. I think everyone ended up going home slightly tipsy afterwards, because what was a Prom without the punch being spiked with alcohol?

It was a few days after the prom when it finally hit me that by Saturday—graduation day—I would no longer be in high school. When this realisation dawned, I had what you would call a mini panic attack. Everything was going in full speed. After graduation, I had that internship during the summer. I knew I had to make the decision quickly because Dr Wesley contacted me asking if I was still up for it before he gave my place to someone else.

I hadn't told Kyle about it. I kept putting it off because I knew what he'd say. We have been inseparable these past weeks since our relationship began. Everything was really great between us, even though we had our ups and downs—fights which were really stupid if you'd ask me—other than that, it was perfect.

I didn't know what he planned for summer, but I knew whatever plans he was going to make, he would want me in them.

Therefore, I wasn't really sure what this internship would mean to our relationship considering it was running for the full three months and right after it, I was heading straight to college.

The letters finally came after months of waiting. A few colleges accepted me straight away without any interviews, so it was only right to choose the best of all them.

College was another thing I withheld in our conversations. I saw his letters too. The ones he hid from me and ignored. I knew he was putting off opening them, but whether he was afraid of being accepted or rejected, I didn't really know. I knew eventually we had to discuss it, because sooner or later the comfortable bubble of happiness we created was going to burst.

"You okay?" Kelly bounced next me on my bed.

I took my headphones out and stopped the track I was playing. "What?"

She gave me a face, rolling her eyes before playing with my hair. "What's going on in your head?"

I frowned. "Nothing. Why?"

"Keya, you do know that I carried you in my womb for—well seven months. I've nursed and taken care of you for almost eighteen years now. Anyway, my point is you can't hide anything from me. So what's wrong?"

I sat up and sighed. "Well, I was thinking about the future."

"And?" She coaxed.

"Well..." I trailed. I was still yet to tell her about my newfound relationship with Kyle.