Chapter 11 - Lost cause

Early update before sitting my exams-two of them precisely-this coming week.

...........

"You look gorgeous!" James grinned at me as he pulled me into a hug.

I grinned too. To be honest this wasn't my best look, but I had thrown on a white knee-length strapped dress that hugged my chest and managed to make my C-cup look like D-cups. From below the dress trailed into a lacy floral that reached my knee. The dress looked more of a cocktail kind than casual.

Although I wasn't an expert on make-up and hair like Sav was, I managed to at least straighten my untamed curls and dab on a bit of mascara here and lipstick there.

"Thank you. You're not so bad yourself." I smirked at his get up. He had on crisp white linen shirt unbuttoned to reveal the base of his throat and tucked under his dark jeans. His hair was gelled back to give it style. I could tell he really put on a effort for tonight.

"So where are they?" He asked as we followed the waitress who escorted us to our booth. She swooned over at James and I agreed with her approving eyes as she mouth, "OMG" to me when James wasn't looking.

"I really don't know." I answered him, cringing when my brain decided to imagine exactly what they might be doing.

Like a gentleman, he let me sit first before taking a seat opposite me. The waitress gave us the laminated menus before retreating.

"You think we should order now?" He asked me.

I was tempted to say yes but then it could be seen as rude. "No, let's just look at the menu."

"That might be a good idea."

At this point I hoped that they wouldn't show up but thinking of Kyle's somewhat faux enthusiasm from yesterday, I doubted he would want to miss this.

I took the laminated menu and forced my eyes to drag on the options. I didn't know if James intended to pay for our food but since it was going to be a double date, I doubt he would that's why I took precaution to take some cash out when he picked me up.

"Hallelujah!" James exclaimed suddenly.

I looked up and my heart skidded to a stop at the sight of Kyle and Mandy following the waitress to our booth.

It was stupid of me really, to feel suddenly shaky with cold sweat but I couldn't control my reaction when our gazes locked.

My initial thought as I first saw him was, when did he cut his hair? Because, the Kyle sauntering over to us looked different. He had shaved the sides to his hair in a buzz-cut and left an island of messy but sexy locks adorned perfectly on the middle of his head. The haircut suited him. Damn, it was sexy as hell. I knew no one could pull this off except for him.

As he got closer I studied his attire; he wore a black leather jacket unbuttoned to reveal what looked like a white t-shirt and from this close up, the t-shirt looked like second skin against his toned body. No wonder the waitress including dolled-up Mandy who held on to Kyle's arms possessively couldn't take their eyes off him.

I forced myself to shake the alluring sight of him which brought the image of last Sunday into my mind.

I looked over at his companion instead. Mandy looked appealing in her glittery strapless party dress which reached the middle of her thighs. It accentuated her longer legs that were held by the matching glittery pumps.

I couldn't blame James's gawking when they approached our table.

"You guys made it." James greeted them enthusiastically but his eyes never left the sight of Mandy.