Chapter 27 - Fragile Bonds

I found myself at Kyle's driveway the morning after I met Anabelle. After calling Ned in the morning he briefed me a little on what's been happening with him for the past month. It was the first step I took since our break up. And although I was reluctant to be involved, I had to tell him about his brother.

I spent ten minutes sitting in my car, contemplating what I was about to do while staring unerringly at Kyle's house. It took me a will of strength to finally get out of my car and walk toward his front porch.

I took a few deep calming breaths before buzzing at his door with nervous fingers. Somehow, I doubted he was in the house. From what Ned had told me, he has no idea where Kyle goes most of the time since he's never at home.

I was about to give up waiting when the door wrenched open making my heart skip a beat at shock of it.

"Kyle--"

"Keya--?"

We both said with surprised tones at the same time.

Seeing him sent my pulse into overdrive.

He gave me his amused smile while I stood there in front of him and for a moment, as I smiled back at him, it felt like the last month hadn't happened at all.

"May I come in?" I asked him, after a while of just staring deeply into each other.

"Yeah sure." He invited me in.

I felt slightly confident for once since I last saw him as I walked through the door. Somehow, I managed to brush past him even though the door was wide enough that even an elephant could pass through it. Feeling his body heat and inhaling his scent disarmed me a little, but I straightened my back and walked past the familiar walls of his house until I reached the living area.

Kyle watched my movements like a hawk as he stood at the threshold of the living room door while I sat down on his office chair and swivelled it to face him.

Although he looked slightly confused with his frown, I could tell that I was a welcome presence from his smile.

"So what brings you here?" He asked at the very same time, I asked, "So how have you been?"

We both laughed nervously for an awkward second, until he gestured for me to go first.

"How are you?" I asked him.

"I'm good. I'm always good. You know that." He said as he leaned against the wall of the door while crossing his arms.

I doubted his word but I nodded in agreement before I looked away from his form. It was seeing him like that, all tall and masculine, that brought back unwanted images of us being together. I swallowed them down deeply, repressing every urge to just run up to him and kiss him while demanding exactly why we split.

"What about you? I mean, I thought you'd be doing your internship by now?" He frowned slightly.

"I didn't go. I guess Ned didn't tell you, but yeah. I'm still around." My voice was wary. I still didn't know exactly where we stood at this moment. Where we friends or just ex's?

"Oh." He nodded as if in understanding although I could tell he was deep in thought about something.

It was silent again because both of us were desperately thinking of what to say next while awkwardly staring at the furniture or wall.

Kyle suddenly shook his head as if remembering something. "Do you want a drink or something to eat?" As he asked this, he left the threshold and disappeared quickly into the hallway, leaving me staring confusedly at his shadow.