Chapter 10- Learning

"What happened?!" I asked in annoyance, glaring past Sadie, who'd dragged me into the bathroom, and through the open doorway at Bulstrode.

"Your eyes were red!" she whisper yells, throwing her arms in the air and nearly hitting Stripes, who was flying in through the open doorway.

I bring my attention away from Bulstrode, and back to Sadie. "And?"

"Your eyes were red," she repeated, an agitated look coming over her when my attention moved to Bulstrode though the doorway once again. "And you can't just go hexing everyone who annoys you. Especially your own housemates."

"Yeah, I heard you the first time and I'm still wondering why it matters," I said, ignoring the second part.

"Because usually peoples eyes don't change colour unless-"

"Unless they're a metamorphmagus," I said, cutting off the rest of her sentence. "So that's me, Melody Lily Potter, the metamorphmagus."

"And chosen one," Sadie chuckled, rolling her eyes. 

"Well that too," I laughed, but throwing another glare through the open door.

Suddenly Sydney Marshall walks in tho the bathroom, and letting the door shut behind her. She was the one that had befriended me at the opening feast. With the door shut, my attention was then fully on Sadie and Sydney. Sydney's long wavy brown hair bounced as she walked and her eyes, which I quickly noticed to be two different shades of brown, were lit up with joy.

"Did you see the look on Bulstrode's face?!" Sydney asked laughing "she looked like she was going to cry!"

We all laughed, the sound echoing throughout the room. I could have sworn I heard a growl from the other side of the door. I wondered how our other dorm mate, Tracey Davis, was handling the troll.

"We should go back to bed so we're not tired for our first class," said Sadie.

Sydney and I both agree and we go to the dormitory. In the doorway between the dormitory and the bathroom, I stop, pat my shoulder and whistle. Stripes darted into the air, shook, and sped to my shoulder, landing softly. Without regarding Bulstrode once, I went to sleep.

*

Sadie, Neil, Sydney and I walked into the transfiguration classroom and sat down. This morning my owl wouldn't shut up. Anytime I tried to leave it would squawk loudly. So I let her out to fly around which she did. She flew to the classroom and once I sat she'd flown in and out.

The Professor wasn't there yet, just a grey cat sitting on her desk. I wondered if she was going to transfigure it. It was five minutes passed the start of class and the Professor wasn't there yet, neither was Harry, worrying me slightly.

Harry? I called to my brother in my head. Where are you? You're going be late to your very first class.

Thanks Lily I needed another reminder of that. Ron and I are lost.

Ron? The Ron from the train?

Yes, yes, now shut up so I can think and find the class.

Just ask the first person you see.

There was a bit of a break in our conversation, and I waited a couple minutes before hearing Harry's voice in my head once again.

Okay we did it. We're running your way now.

I chuckled slightly, and discreetly. See you soon then, loser.

Only minutes later, Harry and Ron ran in out of breath. They were late, and it didn't go unnoticed by our laughing classmates. Ron leaned over and rested his hands on his knees, trying to regain his breath.

"Thank Merlin the Professor isn't here yet." Ron panted, standing upright again, glancing around for an empty desk for Harry and himself.

The cat jumped off the desk and quickly changed into the Professor. I laughed, looking at the shocked and guilty faces on the boys, and then to the stern face of the animagus, who was Professor McGonagall. Ron paled considerably.

"You're late," said Professor McGonagall. "Maybe I should transfigure one of you into a watch so at least one of you will be on time?"

I laughed, and Sydney's laughter followed soon after, making Harry shoot me a glare. Realizing what he'd done, he quickly turned back to McGonagall. Her lips were pressed into a thin line.

"No P-Professor we g-got lost," Ron stuttered.

I rolled my eyes, as I watched the redhead fearing the teacher. 

"Well then how about a map?" Asked the Professor, causing me and Sydney to burst out in laughter once again. It went undisciplined by the Professor. "Take your seats."

The boys scurried over to an empty desk and quickly sat down. The rest of the lesson was boring, to the point where Sydney and I played hangman on a scrap piece of paper. All we did was learn about what transfiguration was and what we'd be doing throughout the year. I was hoping we'd be starting today. Hermione, though paying close attention, seemed to be thinking the same. She'd nod knowingly at nearly everything McGonagall said, brown eyes sparkling brightly. 

I itched for the class to be over, and to talk to the Professor about something I did once at the Dursley's. I knew now about accidental magic, and thought I might have performed some back when I was younger. Finally the end of class came but instead of exiting the classroom I walked up to the Professor so did Sydney. Neil, Sadie, and Harry gave us weird looks but I waved them away.

You okay?

Yeah fine, I just need to talk to the professor quickly. I think I did some accidental magic with transfiguration back at the Dursley's.

Alright. See you soon?

For sure.

"Do you need something Ms. Potter, Ms. Marshall?" The Professor McGonagall asked us. "You have class."

"Yes, how did you do that thing where you changed into.... You, from a cat?" I asked, glancing at the clock and knowing Sydney and I would both be late for Herbology.

"That's what I was going to ask!" Sydney exclaimed.

I looked at her weirdly, but laughed slightly. I was glad she was there, though. I wasn't sure if the accidental magic I had performed could get me in trouble.  

"Great minds think alike," I chuckled, before turning back to the professor.

"I'm what they call an animagus," McGonagall said, eyeing the clock as well.

"Yes, I know, but how? Because I've done it once before and I can't figure out how to do it intentionally," I said, shifting my feet.

"I second that," Sydney muttered, causing a bit of awkwardness to form in the air. I shook it off. 

"You've changed into an animal before?" She asked Sydney and me, with alarm in her voice.

"Yes," Sydney and I said simultaneously.

"Which animal?"

"A black panther," I say, remembering how much trouble I got in when I was only nine, for having such a 'ridiculous dream'.

"Fox," says Sydney, with a small smirk. "Mum doesn't know."

"Well I'll show you how," she said reluctantly. "But after classes! It's your first day at Hogwarts, I don't want you missing classes."

"But professor all we're going to do is learn what we're going to learn, and we won't be able to focus if we're just watching the clock and waiting for the end of classes," Sydney said, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw her bite her cheek to hold back a sly smirk.

"Yes, Professor. Plus, I've read all the textbooks through already. I'm very familiar with all of our classes. They're much more interesting than my muggle classes."

"No, you must go to your classes and that's final. No more of that sly Slytherin persuasion. It has never worked on me. Go on. I believe you have Herbology with the Ravenclaws?"

"Yes, Professor McGonagall," I sighed.

"Well you'd better hurry there then, you're already late. I'll see you two after classes."