Chapter 26- Through the Trapdoor

We met at the Gryffindor common room late that night. Ron, Hermione, and Harry sat nervously in front of the fire, waiting for me and Sydney to arrive. Sydney and I entered quietly, and the portrait closed silently behind us.

"Hey guys," I said quietly.

Hermione whipped around quickly, jumping up out of her seat. I raised my hands in surrender. Hermione's face flushed brightly, as she relaxed again. Harry and Ron stood up behind her, gathering the cloak from the couch on which they'd been sitting.

"Sorry," Sydney muttered. "Didn't mean to startle you."

I leaned against the wall when no one made any move to leave the common room. Even I was quiet, and that didn't happen often. My hair was slowly streaking white, in what I was sure was a fear I couldn't push back.

"We, should go down now," I whispered. Another streak of white overpowered red.

"No," squeaked a small voice from behind us. "You won't lose more points from Gryffindor. You won't leave. I-I'll... I'll fight you."

Neville Longbottom stood at the bottom of the boy's dormitory staircase. He ran over and stood in front of the portrait hole. He shakily raised his wand, pointed towards us. I knew there was no way he could defend against all of us; he probably could take any one of us, but I couldn't even manage a smirk.

"Neville I'm sorry about this," Hermione said guilty, pointing her wand at Longbottom. "Pertrificus Totalus!"

Neville straightened. His arms locked at his sides and his legs locked together. I'd never yet seen anyone use a limb locking curse on another person, and I felt some of the nervousness I held ebb away. His eyes stayed wide open as he fell, and they continued to follow us as we walked by him out the door.

"Sorry," Hermione muttered as she passed Neville on the way to the door.

Ron repeated the action, simply stepping over Neville and muttering an apology. Harry, being the good Samaritan he often was, picked Neville up off the floor, dragged him over to the side of the room, and leaned him up against the wall.

"Sorry Neville," Harry said guiltily, not looking at his eyes.

Sydney and I slunk by quietly, but by the look in Neville's eyes, he didn't miss the smirk now plastered onto our faces. My hair turned less white, the red taking over a little more. I regained full control of my metamorphmagus powers, and shook my head, letting my hair turn all red.

Once out in the hall, Harry pulled the invisibility cloak out from under his robes, and threw it over all five of us. We walked silently through the halls, thankfully not passing any Professors. I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my foot.

"Ronald!" I whisper yelled, my eyes going red as I turned to face him.

"M'srry," Ron muttered.

We continued through the silent corridors, Ron was treading carefully to avoid my feet. It was quite difficult to hide us all under the cloak, but we managed. We quickly arrived at the door, at the end of the third floor corridor. Hermione took a shaky breath.

"Alohamora!" She whispered.

We stepped into the room nervously, the door slamming shut behind us. We threw the cloak off to the side, then reluctantly turned to look at the three headed dog. It was fast asleep, only then did I notice the harp playing softly in the background.

"Snape's gone through already, Let's go," Harry said quickly.

It took all of us to lift the dogs massive grey paw from the floor. It took even more strength to life it and move it off the top of the trapdoor. We all jumped when he snorted in his sleep. It was minutes before the door was open.