Chapter 11

Instead of slipping through the side gate, this time, Jana and I walk through the front door of Trent Watts' house

Instead of slipping through the side gate, this time, Jana and I walk through the front door of Trent Watts' house. Jana calls out, "we're here," and she leads me inside.

The lights are dim and we join Taylor on the couch. Sitting across from her is a couple I had seen around school before. They seem to be in a deep conversation with each other, looking into one others eyes, holding hands. The girl plays with the guys, drawing pictures on his palm.

Taylor smiles. "Finally, you're here. For a moment I thought you two weren't going to come."

"Diddo," I mutter and crash down beside her. She has a glass set on the table in front of her. I can tell it's hers because her berry lipstick is smeared on the rim. I wonder what it is. I wonder what it tastes like. "How many times a month do you guys come here?"

"Too many," Taylor says, "it's only because Trent's parents are never home. They leave him weeks at a time for work."

Interested, I ask, "what do they do?"

Taylor shrugs.

Jordan walks in with Daniel, holding many drinks. He sets them all on the coffee table. "If you want one, grab one, I'm tired of you two asking me to make them whenever you want," he says to Taylor and Jana, but they simply laugh.

Jana shrugs and grabs one. "Sounds good to me."

I lean back against the couch, distancing myself from the alcohol.

Daniel looks to me. "You don't swim, you don't drive carefully, you don't drink, tell me, what else don't you do? So far none of it seems to connect together. It's all very random, isn't it?"

I watch Taylor as she tugs drinking Jana from the couch. "I want to take a picture by the pool, come with me."

The couple from earlier, the touchy one, has drifted off into the house, and I can only imagine what they're doing.

I know what Taylor is doing, though, she's getting me alone with Daniel, but little do they know that he has no interest in me whatsoever. The only times we talk happens to be at Watts', which isn't an achievement. I am simply a person to cure his boredom.

"Yeah," I murmur, "it's all random."

Little does he know it is very connected, but I am not about to spill my deepest, darkest secret with Daniel, the guy who doesn't find me interesting enough to hold a conversation with. I'm sure our current one is about to end now.

"When you walk in the room," he continues, "everyone stares, they all whisper."

My eyes find him again. "Do they?"

It is odd how I have known him for hardy two weeks and he is already stumbling around the truth.

"I know you see it. It bothers you," he states.