Chapter 39

I couldn't sleep, not with that video on my mind

I couldn't sleep, not with that video on my mind. It felt like a dream, something far beyond reality. Seeing her again—that version of myself—put a good dent in me. It made me feel like a time traveler, yet no one would want to go back to their worst moment, something like that belongs in the past and for some reason mine won't stay. It's like a mosquito trapped inside of my clothes, constantly biting and never escaping.

I have many questions for Sam, but I don't want to face him. Up until now I believed Harrison and I were the only witnesses, and here Sam is, an innocent boy who filmed at the wrong time. He shouldn't be dragged in. He already did his part by giving me the video.

This is what I wanted, right? Proof? Now that I have it I am not sure what to do. It isn't that hard to turn it into the police, to prove everyone wrong, but for some reason whenever I think about it I struggle. What if they still don't believe me? What if they refuse to watch it? What if they ignore me and turn me away? I've never thought about this before because, well, before yesterday the idea of proof was just in my imagination.

Jana causes me to jump when she abruptly sits down beside me at the lunch table. "Scared ya?"

"A little," I say, remembering to smile. "How's your day been?"

"Boring. Texting James during class is all I have to amuse me. Where were you at lunch yesterday? Daniel said he tried texting you, but you didn't answer."

"I was in the library working on an English essay," I lie, having planned out my excuse in advance. "Where's Jordan and Taylor?"

"What? You're not going to ask about Daniel?"

"Fine. Where's Daniel?" I ask with exaggerated enthusiasm.

Jana sets her backpack down beside her. "Are you two fighting or something?"

"No. Why would you think that?"

"No reason at all," she says accusingly. "Now. What are you doing for winter break?"

"I might go see my Dad in Canada. He's supposed to call me today about it, actually."

"How are they?"

I shrug. "They seem to be doing fine, though the weather is a little much for them, way different than living in Florida."

Taylor joins the table, telling us that Jordan is home sick. She asks me where Daniel is and I shrug. Coincidently, my phone vibrates and I lift it to see a message from him.

DANIEL: Meet me at the track

I sigh. "I've gotta go. Daniel is at the track, and he wants me to meet him. I'll see you guys later."

It's gloomy outside and puddles litter the pavement from the rain earlier. I avoid them as I near the track, spotting Daniel moving around it. I wait for him to come back around, sitting on one of the benches on the football field, watching him. When he comes back, he jogs straight over to me. My eyes stay on him as he sits down, his breaths a little heavy. "You texted?"