Chapter 48

Jana and I walk into school side by side, talking about what happened after Daniel and I left the party. "I can't believe you—you just dived right in, didn't you? Was it—I mean, how was it? Were you okay?"

We stop at her locker, and I talk quietly as she gets her things. "It was a little difficult at first, but he was so gentle, so patient and caring. I just...I love him. He really cares about me, Jana. He makes me feel safe and alive and..." I smile, dreaming.

"Well, I'm happy for you. You deserve it," she says and gives me a side-hug as we continue down the hall. "You two make a beautiful couple, oh, like James and I."

I shake my head. "Maybe we're both love-sick puppies"

Walking into my first class, I slip past Daphne, who's already in her desk. She avoids me as I move by, shifting her body away as if I'm sick and she's a clean-freak. Finding it odd, I sit down and watch her as she glances back and swiftly turns away. With nothing else to do but shrug it off, I let it go and get out my things, thinking about seeing Daniel at lunch.

During class my mind constantly wanders to the night we shared and how close I felt to him. Everything is almost perfect, almost, if only I could let go of the USB. It's a hard thing to get over, being so close then messing up. If only I turned it in right away, if only I didn't bring it to school, if only, if only. I take a deep breath. Harrison can take this victory, and he can be eaten up by the guilt. In the end, he's the monster with an artificial life and I'm the one with caring friends and Daniel. Daniel is something all in hisself.

When lunch finally comes around, I enter the cafeteria with an eagerness to be with him. I spot him already at the table with Jana and Taylor, so I make my way over.

"Hi," I say sweetly, sitting down beside him.

"Hi, sweetheart," he greets devilishly and pulls my chair closer to his. "How's your day going?"

"It's going good," I murmur with a flushed face, completely entranced. "How's your day going?"

"It was alright, but it just got a lot better."

"God you guys are so cheesy," Jana interrupts and Taylor nudges her.

"Just let them enjoy it."

I roll my eyes and look back to Daniel. "We are pretty cheesy now."

I feel his hand on my thigh and he squeezes lightly, bringing butterflies to my stomach. "We are, aren't we?"

Jordan soon joins us and bugs Daniel on how 'whipped' he is, but Daniel doesn't seem to mind. "Man, soon you're going to be like me. I swear, girls change you," he mutters and Taylor smiles.

Sometime during the tables random conversation, I feel a soft tap on my shoulder and I peer back to find Daphne standing behind me looking rather uncomfortable. Everyone stops talking and looks to her, and I feel Daniels hand back on my leg. "Can we talk?" She asks me. "It's important."

Surprised and unsure, I look to Daniel and say, "Uh, yeah, sure." I squeeze his shoulder while getting up before following Daphne out of the cafeteria. Not knowing what to expect, I glance back at the table then disappear through the doors.

She leads me down the hall, far enough to where no one can hear us and where not many people go. She turns around, her face full of distress. "I'm sorry, Hailey," she says, looking rather guilty.

"Uh, okay. Thanks for being sorry," I mumble, glancing past her to see if anyone will come for me if this is a trap.

"No, Hailey," she mutters. "I didn't know you were telling the truth."

I stop and let out a breath, my shoulders falling. "Oh," I mumble, wanting to escape all of this past drama. Just because Daphne finally figured it out, doesn't mean that I want to continue visiting it. I have my friends and Daniel, let me move on already, Universe.

Daphne takes a deep breath, swinging her backpack around to her chest, unzipping the front pocket. She takes out a USB, the USB and places it in front of my eyes like some sort of miracle. I immediately back up, "What the hell, Daphne."

"Please, take it."

"How the hell did you get it?" I ask accusingly, overwhelmed. "Is this some sick joke?"

She shakes her head. "No. The video is on there. Just—just take the drive."

I snatch it from her and hold it to my chest like a newborn child or a diamond ring. "How did you get it?" I ask again, carefully.

She looks to the ground, disappointed in herself. "I was jealous. I liked Daniel, a lot, and suddenly you come back and just take him. I don't know, I was stupid. I'm just some evil teenage girl, right? Whatever. I went through your locker looking for your final problem set for economics so you'd get a zero. I saw the USB drive and thought it might be important, like a final project or something, so I took it. I got curious and plugged it into my computer. I don't expect you to thank me since I stole it from you, but your locker number is the same as last years and last year I spread around your number, so you might want to change it," she explains. Backing away towards the exit. "I have to go. I can't be around Harrison right now. Uh, I'm sorry, okay? I am, I really am."

I stay put, watching as she heads out the door and in the direction of the parking lot. My chest feels tight like someone is pressing against me. Without another thought, I rush back to the cafeteria and nearly clash with the table. I grab my backpack, my heart racing while everyone stares at me.

"Hailey, what are you doing?" Jana asks for everyone.

My eyes water. "I got it. She had it. She had the drive."

Daniel and Jana immediately get up, grabbing their things. Daniel takes my hand and Jana leads the way, moving people out of our way. Together we run down the hallway and burst through the doors. "I'll drive, Daniel says breathlessly, "my car is right here."

I jump in the front seat and Jana lays in the back, freaking out. "I can't believe it. I can't believe it," she murmurs, nursing her head.

Daniel stops when bringing up his keys.

"What is it?" I ask, my heart racing.

"We can't go to the police station."

Jana shoots up. "What? Why?"

"You know that bad guy I told you about?" Daniel asks with a very serious expression.

"Yeah, of course."

"It's Harrison's father."

**********************************************
Two more!!!