Chapter 24

"Remember, the test over Lord of the Flies will be Friday

"Remember, the test over Lord of the Flies will be Friday. Fall break is over, people, let's get back into the routine," Mrs. Hilliard calls to us as we exit the classroom. "Remember, if you haven't turned in your Chapter Twelve analysis. . ."

Her voice fades as I wander out the door and down the hallway. Everyone seems miserable today, all hoping for one more day of fall break. It is always hard to come back after a week of relaxation.

The principals muffled voice sounds above us, rambling about Homecoming, the next football game, college visits, and other events I would love to forget about. Being in the school is enough for me already. I could live without the stares and whispers. You'd think after an entire quarter that people would get over the fact that I am indeed back in Coldgrove.

Suddenly someone roughly grabs my arm, yanking me to the side, into a room. It is all one blur in front of me. Once inside, they let go and the door shuts. I immediately look up, not expecting to see Harrison standing in front of the door. Panic sets in heavily. He's blocking the way out. He's going to hurt me. Should I scream? Should I cry? Should I fight him?

"Calm down, Hailey," he says while locking the door. My eyes shoot to the lock, remember what happened the last time I was in a locked room with him. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to talk."

I shake my head. "I-I'm going to scream."

He crosses his arms. "Would you relax?"

"No!" I shout at him. "Get away from me! You c-can't lock me in a room."

"Just listen," he says harshly. "All of these rumors are hurting my reputation. I can't have it anymore—"

"It's the truth!"

Harrison clenches his jaw, visibly angry. "I can't have it," he repeats. "You're going to say that it was all a lie, and I'm going to support you. I'll forgive you and so will everyone else. You can finally live here without the staring and without the entire town hating you."

I swallow. "I want to leave."

Harrison peers to the side for a moment. "Think about it."

He then unlocks the door, releasing me.

I rush down the hall, my heart racing, my throat closing up, sweating. I want to leave. I need to get out of here. My hands ball up into fists, my nails digging into my palms.

Hurrying through the front doors, I jog to my car, fumbling with the zipper of my backpack so I can get my keys. I reach my car and dig around in the bag, not finding them. The need to scream rises up in me. Where are the damn keys? I just want to get out!

I throw my bag to the ground, leaning against my car. Like a five-year-old child, I want to throw a fit, kicking and crying. It's not fair!

"Do you usually try and leave at this time?"

Already knowing who it is, I look up, not caring how I may come off anymore. Pretending to be normal is tiring, and for some reason, Daniel doesn't seem to fall for it. He has his track bag slung over his shoulder, he must have gotten it from his car like last time.