Chapter 35

I gave Daniel my phone number, thinking that we could text each other or call if needed

I gave Daniel my phone number, thinking that we could text each other or call if needed. It wasn't an odd thing to bring up as he has kissed me four times now without my permission—not that I mind, but he doesn't have to know that.

ME: I was eating chocolate in the class before, that's why.

DANIEL: And you had so much chocolate because?

ME: Because I bought a lot of junk food the night before. I was home alone and decided to give myself a few cavities.

DANIEL: You were home alone the entire night? When those kids TP'd you?

ME: Yeah, my mom was working overnight.

DANIEL: Why didn't you have Jana stay with you?

ME: Because I'm not 5 years old.

DANIEL: Well, you eat like one.

I roll my eyes, but before I can reply, I hear the front door opening. My mom must be home. It's a little later than usual. Usually, I would be asleep by now, but time goes by too fast when I am texting Daniel.

My ears perk up like a dog's when sounds of laughter and hushed voices sound from downstairs. Immediately, I panic, thinking it's intruders.

ME: If I don't answer in 5 minutes call the police.

I shove my phone in my pocket and tiptoe to my bedroom door, pushing it open a crack. The hallway light downstairs turns on, and I hear people coming up the steps. I swallow.

My bedroom lights are off, so hopefully, they suspect no one to be in here right away.

My heart jolts at the sight of an unfamiliar man appearing in the hall. Thinking of the quickest escape, I struggle to come up with any ideas. Then my mother appears behind him, and my eyes grow wide.

Oh dear God, my mother has brought a man home.

"Sh," she whispers, "my daughter is asleep."

The two hurry into her bedroom, gently shutting the door behind them, leaving me in a state of shock. I slowly shut my door and blink a few times before really considering what I had just witnessed.

My phone starts to ring, and I notice that it's Daniel. I bring the device up to my ear. "Hello?" I say quietly, not wanting my mother to know that I am awake and that I had just caught her.

"What's happening? Why am I calling the police?" Daniel asks in a worried tone.

"Oh my God," I breathe out.

"What, Hailey?"

I sit down on my bed, completely grossed out. "My mother is hooking up with a man. She thinks I'm asleep. I-I thought someone was breaking in—but it's her, and a man."

A sigh of relief sounds through the phone, but I do not feel the same. "Thank God," Daniel mutters.

"No, no, thank God. What am I supposed to do? Lay here knowing that they're. . ." I get a shiver. "What if they're loud? What if I can hear it?"