Chapter 16

The next day, at noon exactly, I struggle with my suitcase and backpack as I hold my phone to my ear, all while managing to walk down the stairs

The next day, at noon exactly, I struggle with my suitcase and backpack as I hold my phone to my ear, all while managing to walk down the stairs. "Yes mom, and I promise to be good."

"Hailey Fonte you tell me this honestly, are there any adults going with you on this trip?"

One of my eyebrows raises, then I drop my suitcase to the floor. "An adult? Yeah, there is."

Jana gives me a look.

Jordan and Daniel are eighteen as they have early birthdays. Technically, I am not lying. My mother sighs. "Alright. Just, please be careful. You'll be back Wednesday?"

"Yeah, Wednesday night, if everything goes smoothly. I'll call you every day so you know I'm still alive."

"That's not funny, don't do anything reckless."

Jana taps her wrist, telling me that it's really time to go now.

"I really have to go. I'll text you when I get to the cabin, okay?"

"Alright. Have a nice time," and with that, I hang up and shove my phone into my pocket, so I can carry my suitcase out to the SUV. Jana grabs my backpack for me and we rush out of the house. Thankfully, I remember to lock the door behind us.

"So, whose car is this again?" I question while heaving my bag into the trunk.

"It's Jordan's grandmas."

I stop and look to Jana. "Why does Jordan's grandmother have an SUV?"

"I don't know, don't question, just be thankful and get in."

Of course, Jordan and Daniel take the front for themselves, leaving all three of us girls in the back. Luckily, two seats fold up in the very back, and I am happy to take one so Taylor and Jana can sit comfortably in the second row. All three of us jammed together? No thank you.

"Are you sure you're okay back there?" Jordan calls to me from the driver's seat.

"I'm better than okay. Just drive, I want to get there as soon as possible."

Daniel glances back at me. "Someone is eager to leave Coldgrove."

Whenever I talk to Daniel I can't help but play as the mysterious character he believes me to be. "Oh, no, I love it here. Everyone is just so sweet," my voice drips with sarcasm.

Jana turns around in her spot. "Quickly, pick one. Florida or Coldgrove."

"Florida."

She frowns. "You chose Florida over me?"

I shrug. "If it was you or Florida, I would choose you. Happy?"

Jana smiles. "Yes. Now, pick one, Jackie and Kelso or Jackie and Hyde?"

"Jackie and Hyde," I say with passion.

"Jackie and Kelso, only because they're married in real life," Taylor says.

My eyes wander to Daniel. "Jackie and Hyde," he shares, then looks to Jordan.

"Jackie and who? What are you guys talking about?"

An array of groans fills the car. "Are you serious?" Taylor questions, more annoyed than surprised. "It's That 70's Show? You've never seen it?" He shakes his head, no. "How are we together—I honestly don't know anymore."

The drive is quiet, besides Taylor and Jordan mumbling things to each other. Her arms rest against the back of his seat, her lips close to his ear. If I wasn't so far back in the car, maybe I could hear what she's saying.

Jana has fallen asleep with her headphones in, and I can't see what Daniel is doing, and I am curious about it. Is he sleeping? Is he on his phone? Is he simply watching the road?

Hailey, stay after class please, Mr. Russ said as the last few students shuffled out. I had wondered if anyone noticed, if anyone cared about the number of times Mr. Russ had asked me to stay after, or the times he called on me, or the extra attention at all.

Once the class was empty, he locked the door as usual. What is it, I asked, no longer as curious as I was the first time. It had been four months in his class already with one more to go. We had kissed, we had talked, he had shared his life with me, telling me about his wife. His wife was always a tricky topic.

When he had first started flirting with me, I had assumed he was too young to be married, yet I later discovered he got married right after high school. He said it was a mistake.

My grandmother died, he said, which caught me off guard. I stood there not knowing what to say.

I murmured, I'm sorry.

It's good news actually, she left me a large sum of money, enough for me to live comfortably, Mr. Russ explained, I want to leave my wife, Hailey. I want to leave the school system, leave town, and I want you to come with me.

I stood like a statue. 'What' was the only thing that could leave my mouth. He had asked me to run away with him.

He told me to think about it, then let me go. I rushed down the hall and didn't look back, it was my fault, I had made him fall in love with me. I had stolen a married man's heart and won myself a seat next to him in his one-way ride to freedom.

It was a mistake, it was all a mistake, and I knew that then. For the next week, I had either slipped out of class with a large group of students or muttered that I still didn't know. Mr. Russ was growing impatient, as he wanted to leave as soon as the school year ended. One month became four weeks, then three, then two, then one, and before I could slip out the door with only five days left, Mr. Russ grabbed my arm, triggering me, then shut the door, blocking my escape.

You've been ignoring me, he said with a firmness in his tone.

It was then time to bite the bullet.

I'm sorry, but I can't go, I confessed, I can't throw my life away.

It was harsh, but he got the message. He let me go and for the rest of the week he didn't see me, I was invisible. To him, Hailey Fonte, and his forbidden fling was over.

Glancing out the car window, staring out at the trees, I can't help but wonder where he is now. Did he stay with his Wife, or did he really run away from it all? I cannot decide if running away like that is cowardice or brave.

 Did he stay with his Wife, or did he really run away from it all? I cannot decide if running away like that is cowardice or brave