❁Chapter 11❁

Chapter 11

The start.

The start of the day, the start of the month, before tonight had happened, before James Potter was sitting beside a hospital bed, one hand clutched tightly with the girl in the beds, eyes raking the cuts, the scars, unsure how it was possible that the wounds could be so deep when she was just so small.

But it was still her, whether she was an animagus or not, whether she was a bee or not she was still Bea, she was still Phoebe Lupin, and she was hurt, and when Remus knew what happened with her then he would know it was his fault, that he was the one to hurt her whether she denied it.

But she wasn't the only one that got hurt, terribly hurt, it seemed as though the Lupin kids had a knack for hurt.

-

Wind blew through the trees of the cold night, the fool moon high in the sky rustled the trees around the five students of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry roaming the grounds to calm down the boy who had been cursed with lycanthropy, the boy so willing to help others regardless of the pain he goes through every month, over and over, until the start of his fifth year was he trapped, confined within the walls of the shrieking shack, clawing his way out, begging for a way to get out.

The wolf was getting restless, growling at the birds chirping through the howling of wind, pushing his way through the air, snapping at the animals to either side of him. A black wolf with a rat perched on his neck, sniffing the air for anything out of the ordinary whilst to the left of the hunched wolf was the stag, lightly brown and searching for anything he could see, trying to ignore the tickling of the bee nestled into the point of his ear.

Flying for longer than what was necessary wasn't a good idea for the bee, it was a fascinating creature but it was small, fluttering her wings was a lot of energy taking up, but keeping an eye on her brother was so much more important to her, and well, James was comfortable.

The cold air was blowing through the animals walking near the forest, and finally Bea let her wings flutter, lifting from the fur of the stag, Bea allowed herself to flutter around the animals, completely oblivious to Sirius and Peter who was more concerned with the animals of the forest, wondering if Remus was too far gone to ever hurt someone truly, they weren't sure, this was only their third full moon with Remus.

Bea was quick to move out of the way when Remus started to get agitated, growling lowly at the sound of the buzzing, buzzing he didn't know was his sister, buzzing he could forget, that he would forget, that he wouldn't realise was the girl he would die for, that he would do anything for.

That he protected when no one else did.

But he wasn't Remus in the moment, he was angry, Remus was enclosed inside of the werewolf walking around, he was empowered by the powers of the full moon, and if Remus didn't loath himself so much, if he was confident with who he was, the two could work in harmony to become calm, to be able to reach a level of pain that was bearable for Remus, for the boy to overpower the monster that creeped inside him.

James tried his best to stay as calm as he could, tried to ignore the raging feeling of worry that bubbled inside of him, begging to not let it show that he was afraid, but not for himself, he was to proud for that, he needed his friends to be protected, Remus, too. He was terrified for Bea, too, being so small he knew she could protect herself but he wished she didn't need to. He knew Peter could, and Sirius could, but there was a deeper level, a deeper want to be able to help his friends if it came down to it, because the wolf beside him was on some level his best friend, but he knew, he had replayed it in his mind countlessly.