❁Chapter 34❁

Chapter 34

She hadn't woken up yet.

It was the buzz of the school for three days, and with every day passing, a bigger pile of handmade get well soon cards, chocolates, and so many flowers surrounded the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey said that people are differently affected by such a curse, that if Bea had been placed in a traumatic experience before that it could trigger the pain inside her and hurt her more.

It made more sense after that as to why she hadn't woken up yet.

She would be okay, but it just didn't seem like it. She was lifeless and it barely seemed as if she was breathing and visiting her was painful for her friends. Even Lily Evans didn't leave her side much, she felt as though she owed Bea the company for witnessing such an event and yet she wasn't involved with it.

Violet hugged the redhead so tightly that Lily could barely breathe but she didn't mind the comfort, and neither did Violet. They both needed it, and Lily knew that the sight of Bea twisting and curling in pain in the way she was would forever haunt her memory and already did haunt her dreams.

Telling Remus was aching for James, he had to witness the turns of emotion that spun the gears in his mind. He was once happy, lying with Sirius in the nearing sunny days outside the castle in the grass near small flowers that breezed in the air, and he knew when he saw James running towards them, ignoring the pain in his feet as they slammed against the ground, there was something wrong.

And somehow in his gut, he knew instantly that it was Bea. It could have been a sibling thing, maybe a big brother thing, but he stood immediately and so did Sirius and he whispered, "Bea?"

And James simply nodded and Sirius' eyes widened, heart clenching as did his fists as James explained everything that happened to the two boys.

Peter was the last of her friends to know after Bertie who stormed into the hospital wing and demanded they try every charm and potion. He even recommended some for them to use, and slipped her something when they weren't looking.

Her chest rose when he did it, Madam Pomfrey didn't know how it happened but Bertie couldn't bear the sight anymore and left.

When Peter finally found out, feeling out of the loop and finally raising his voice at his friends that, "I am her friend too! I should've known hours ago!" he felt a surge of pride for himself, but he was also completely distraught too that the girl he saw as his best friend was lying unconscious.

Madam Pomfrey said there was a small chance that she would be able to hear everyone around her, she was in - what the muggles call - a coma-like state. It was a waiting game for more potions to be brewed and for healing remedies and spells to kick in and work but Pomfrey promised she'd be on her feet if it was the last thing she did.

Lily told her muggle stories because she needed to talk but didn't want to talk about the sights she saw. She wondered why she hated the boys so much because they seemed genuinely worried about her regardless of knowing how she felt about them, and regardless of her crumbling friendship with Severus Snape.

They suggested that she erase the memory, get Pomfrey to do it, but she waved them off, "I can live with it," she merely whispered, eyes glazing with tears at the horrific image she would never want anyone going through.

It was weird to call James, James but there was no reason to call him Potter anymore, he wasn't the boy she hated but someone she didn't know anymore. He called her Lily and it was odd, but it wasn't on her mind much, just a feeling off odd unfamiliarity whenever his voice said her name.

"She would be so shocked," Remus said watching the bed as though she would wake up. He had a bitterness to his tone and a laugh that held no humour fell from his lips followed by a shake of his head, "if she knew we were all this worried she'd tell us to stop there and then, that she's fine."