Chapter 4

Y/Ns POV

"I was so angry at you for you know, cheating, I didn't think it was important for you to know such a thing." I start to speak. He tries to apologise again but I gesture for him to wait while I speak. Before I do carry on, he makes a comfortable space for me to sit next to him on the bed, I widen the gap between us as I sit. Leonard notices and instead stands.

"I understand why you're angry at me for keeping her a secret. When I look at it from your point of view it's unfair. I was just not in a good place after the baby died. I really needed you there, you know. I've been so reliable and dependant upon you, that I haven't really done much without you around. Truth be told, I was terrified to have even been pregnant. Then only an hour into finding out, she was gone. I felt horrible, I felt like not only did I betray you, but I betrayed her. I let down her aunt, her grandparents, her future siblings and her uncle. It was very hard for me because I was so accustomed to your presence. Then a year later when I finally know, nobody's coming back for me, it's just me, Ray, my friends and the last few memories I have of my child, the waverider comes out of nowhere." I laugh at the last sentence.

"It was an amazing feeling, I thought, everything's going to be perfect again. My team, my boss, my fiancé are all here for us. So the massive hole in my heart was complete. Then when I found out about you and what you did. All that blood that came rushing to fill that hole up just, disappeared. It was very hard. Because there were many men. There were many temptations, even Ray would start to pester me to date other men. But for 2 years I kept strong. And it was hard. The frustration was indescribable. As was it when I found out through a robot that you...cheated." I explain my true feelings to Leonard like a mature adult.

"That's what made me feel that you weren't deserving to know about my child. But I know now it's unfair no matter how much I hate you." I look up to him and he's already looking down at me. His eyes clouded with guilt. I wipe a stray tear away and stand up. "Now that that's out of the way, I should go." I speak up, I don't want to leave though. That's what hurts the most.

"I'm sorry for being an ass. I'm sorry for everything. You won't believe me, neither can you possibly fathom my regret. But I'm truly sorry for everything." He talks. "Ya, me too." I respond. The cheating and the baby, it's a permanent marker. I can't get back with him only for heartbreak. Even if we do get back together nothing will be the same again. Ever. We lost our child.

Leonard wraps his arms around me in a hug and I let him. "Please stay." He whispers in my ear. I can feel him crying. He grips onto me tighter, it hurts but I don't say anything. We're both crying. It's the beginning of the end and we both know it.

"Please stay." He sobs into my shoulder and I cry back to. "Please. Please. Please." He repeats, each time holding me tighter. I can't control the cries and sounds that come out of my mouth and his. 6 years of dating and 19 years of knowing each other comes down to this. "Please." He whispers defeatedly. "I love you." I cry before pulling myself away.

It was a struggle, especially because Len didn't want to let go and I didn't have the heart to tell him too. "I loved you from the moment I first laid eyes on you. No matter how cheesy it sounds." We both laugh through the tears. I can't control myself and lean in. Our lips collide, in a long, sweet, gentle and tender kiss. Not knowing if we'll ever lock lips again, never mind be friends. "Please." He looks at me hopeful one more time and I remove myself from his arms.

I use the sleeve of my shirt to wipe his tears away and mine. I turn around ready to leave but can't help but give him one last hug. "You were the best part of the last 19 years of my life." I smile, another tear streaming down both our eyes. With that final thing I didn't want to leave unsaid I walk out of his room. I can hear him shout and throw things around within his room from my side of the corridor, but I do nothing.

"I'm single." I sigh out loud. Sarcastically laughing to myself in my dead quite room. I lay on my bed, hugging myself trying to relive the feeling of when Leonard did it. As I drift off to sleep I smile feeling the rock on my finger. He still managed to slip the ring onto me without me realising.

~~