Chapter Sixteen

Cal's POV

I was angry about Ainsley getting custody of Evie. How could she do it on me? I went over to the bar at the party and ordered a pint. I intended to drown my sorrows tonight. I just wanted my little girl back with me.

I sat down and drank my pint. I looked around me and saw Connie talking at the bar with Jason. Ainsley had been avoiding her mum all night. I had already heard what was wrong with her. I wasn't in the mood to speak with Ainsley to even see if she was okay. I was still extremely angry with her. I didn't know when that would change.

Connie came over to me when Jason had walked off from her.
"Doctor Knight," Connie said.
I tried not to sigh. Instead, I rolled my eyes. "Mrs Beauchamp, what can I do for you?"
"What's wrong with Ainsley?"
I scoffed. "How the hell should I know? She's as bad as her mother – good at sleeping with the ED and beyond."

I stormed off once I said it. I was so angry. I looked and saw Iain and Jason. They both had Ainsley when, in truth, I wanted her. I loved her. She was the mother of my kids. I decided to go and find Ainsley. I needed to talk to her about the custody of Evie.

Ainsley walked down the corridor as I was also walking. She was holding her cheek and crying.
"Ains?" I slurred slightly.
"Hey Cal," she mumbled. I could tell Ainsley wasn't her usual self.
I laid a hand on her cheek. "Let's get some ice on that."

Despite my tipsiness, I still could help out. I wasn't completely drunk. I took Ainsley into the kitchen and got some ice from the freezer. I wrapped a dish towel around the ice and placed it gently on her cheek. I didn't ask what happened. I knew Ainsley well enough to know that she didn't want to talk about it. I felt bad for how I had treated her. She looked so vulnerable as she held the ice pack I made up on her cheek.

"Can we talk?" I asked.
Ainsley nodded. "Sure."
"Can we please try for joint custody of Evie. I can't stand what I have done on you. I want to be a good and a proper dad to her. Please."
"Cal, it's settled. I have full custody of Evie. You can come over and see her any time that I am there to monitor it. But we can't go through court all over again. Evie can't take it, I can't take it and neither can any of the other kids," Ainsley told me.
I began to get angry. I kicked the cupboard door that I was standing near. Ainsley jumped. I glared at her. "You're being so selfish! I get it you don't like Alicia but why on earth stop me from being a dad?"
"If you were going to act like a proper father you would have done it long before I had to take it to court," Ainsley spat. She stood up and walked off, out of the kitchen. I sighed loudly and punched the metal fridge. I could feel a finger in my hand breaking. I was too upset to care. I knew Ainsley was right in what she said. It just hurt to hear it.

I grabbed the ice pack that Ainsley had left. I quickly put it on my right hand to reduce the swelling slightly. I would have to get it checked out but I wasn't going to leave the party. It wasn't fair on Ainsley. I knew she would blame herself if she knew I left. Ainsley didn't deserve that.

As I set the ice pack down on the counter again, I heard a scream. I knew immediately that it was Madison. I ran out of the kitchen, not caring that my finger was broken and ran to the scream as fast as I could.

A crowd had gathered around Ainsley. I pushed through people in order to get to what the issue was. My heart shattered as I saw Ainsley lying on the floor with blood pouring from her head. Jordan lifted Madison up and Iain attended to Ainsley on the floor. An ambulance was called. I got down to Ainsley and began to help Iain. I didn't care about my broken finger. I wasn't important – Ainsley was.

I gazed up at everyone standing around Ainsley. I knew someone there had done it. I spotted a guilty looking face and immediately knew that person had done it. But how could I prove it?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
A/N - I can't take the credit for this. StrangeDesires wrote it.