- Chapter 1 -

A warm spring breeze fluttered over the grass fields surrounding the village of Compton. It swirled playfully under the branches of a lone oak that regally surveyed the cluster of houses and shops bordering a thin, meandering river.

If one were to look directly ahead, over the roofs of Compton, one would see the towers of Rosforte Castle, home of Lady Mariah Compton, Baroness of Rosforte, peeking above the trees.

Bordering that great estate are the slightly lesser estates of the two other wealthy families in Compton: Rosehill Park on the left, home of the Rightwoods, and Norcastle on the right, home of the formidable widow, Mrs Routley, and her son.

Under flickering shade cast by the proud tree as it rustled in the wind, a young woman sat reading in the tall grass. Strands of her mahogany hair danced in the breeze and brushed across her face. She pulled the playful strands behind an ear and squinted up at the afternoon sun.

With a start, she snapped her book shut and jumped to her feet, lifting her skirts to run. She sped down the grassy path as quick and graceful as a startled hart and into a small patch of dense woods.

Emerging soon after from the narrow, hidden path, she stepped onto a larger, well-trodden one bordering the forest and turned right towards the small town.  After a short way, she quit this path and veered left, to speed over the fallowing fields towards her destination.  The small farm just on the outskirts of the cozy village grew larger, until she flung open the back door of the farmhouse, arriving with a sharp bang.

"Mama!" She called breathlessly, bursting into the living area and pulling off her apron in a flurry "I am nearly late! Have you pressed my best frock? I cannot believe I allowed myself to tarry so long!"

With a knowing smile, her mother looked up from where she was scaling a fish "Yet somehow I can believe it. I do have it pressed and laid on your bed. Have you yet thanked Mrs Hill for securing you this interview?"

"Of course Mama!" She yelled over her shoulder as she rushed into the bedroom she shared with her siblings. "I thanked her immediately, and on several occasions since!"

The girl piled her dark curls high on her head and secured them as best she could in her haste, before throwing on her freshly pressed, lavender Sunday dress. "Katherine! Mr Wheaton has the horses ready!" She heard her mother call from the other room.

Securing her gown's bow at the back, she pecked a kiss on her mother's cheek; then, grabbing her bonnet on the way out, jumped into the small open-top carriage beside her Papa, and they were off.

"Are you nervous Kat?" he grinned at her a few minutes later as they turned into the Rosforte estate.

"A little." she chewed her lip in nervous anticipation "It's all so very grand Papa, I feel so dreadfully out of place!"

"You can only be out of place if you believe yourself to be out of place. You are equal to everything and anyone."

"Certainly not Papa! I cannot presume to be equal to this surely." she gaped as the castle loomed ahead of them and lush gardens surrounded the drive.

"You are equal to it. You are not entitled to it. There is a difference."

Katherine Wheaton gazed up in wonder at the massive Rosforte castle that stood before her, which seemed to return her gaze with powerful intensity. She gulped.

"Go ahead Kat." Her father encouraged gently "Head up, smile for me."

She obliged him with a shaky smile, struggling for confidence, then hopped from the carriage and waved him off as she stepped up the stairs to the front doors.  Katherine was led into an expansive parlor, draped in red velvet, marble, and gold. Huge portraits were hung in gold frames, bright against the deep red wallpaper. If she had been struck with amazement pulling into the courtyard of the estate, she was now struck with awe. She hadn't realized her potential employer would be quite so wealthy and extravagant!