- Chapter 14/15 -

Grandhill, in the opinion of any who layed eyes on the estate, certainly lived up to its name. Though not an overly large residence, the grounds were very fine and gardens groomed with an expert eye. The manor itself was well situated on slow rising ground, where sun could reach it at any time of day. The apple orchard stood in pretty lines behind Grandhill Manor, along the eastern slope. Here it was that the harvest picnic was held, on a bright Tuesday afternoon.

Two other families from Croydon were in attendance: A Mr and Mrs Overton with three children, two wild boys and an older girl who sat quiet and reserved; a young Mr and Mrs White with one boy. A single guest was also in attendance, and also hailing from Compton; Mrs Routley, who apparently came with the Overton family, being the elder sister, by ten years, of Mrs Adalia Overton. Katherine was thoroughly uncomfortable being in company with Mrs Routley again, though visibly she let none of these feeling show.

The footmen had laid out a large carpet and set up a tent for shade, under which held a table spread with all manner of apple baked goods and drinks. Seats and cushions were set in shade, and on a bit of level ground a croquet run was prepared. Katherine played a superlative game and knocked the winning hit with a cheer, the audience clapped and grinned. Miss Gray and Mr Gray were declared losers while Mr White claimed a close second. Two mallets were reliquished to the Overton children, and Katherine and Miss Gray walked a short way to where a few of the other ladies were sitting.

"Miss Wheaton!" Mrs White called, showing Katherine a seat between her and Mrs Gray "Well played, what a pleasure to see Mr White finally beaten. He always comes out the champion when we hold matches and it's quite taken the challenge out of the game!"

The ladies laughed and declared it true.

"I declare," Mrs Gray was adding "If it weren't quite so hot a day I would take a crack at it myself. I dare say I could take him down a few notches!" She laughed.

This appeared a humorous picture to Kat as Mrs Gray was usually a soft spoken, gentle woman, overly plump though pleasantly so, and to hear her speak as though she would go into battle seemed so out of character it made Katherine laugh. She entered in the conversation "I do love a lively game. Would you not play a round Mrs Overton, Mrs Routley?" She asked these ladies, who had been silent throughout.

"I would play with my sister perhaps," Mrs Overton smiled with an air of condescension "But we are not lively players, and would not offer a challenge to anyone. I, and I can speak for my sister too, do not wish to look a hoyden...unlike some."

"We have been deceived in believing the Spanish have passionate natures." Mrs White teased good-naturedly "For our Spanish sisters are all that is courtly and proper, and find any sport distasteful."

Mrs Routley and Mrs Overton merely smiled at eachother with arched brows, as though they took pride in these things being true and missed Mrs Whites tease entirely.

Young Mr George White then toddled over on the hand of his governess, reaching for his mother; and the attentions of all were then entirely occupied by all the charms a child of two can offer.

~~~

Over the course of the afternoon, Miss Wheaton found herself alone in repartee with Mrs White, a little way away from the rest. They were soon joined on their picnic mat by another.

"Mr Gray," Katherine patted a spot on the rug in invitation. "how fortunate for you to arrive just now. We were in debate whether Grandhill House was built in 1670, or much earlier, as Mrs White guesses, in the late 1500s?"

"You are both wrong," he grinned as he set himself beside them "but Miss Wheaton is the closer by far as it was built in 1677."

"Ah there! You see??" Katherine clapped as Mrs White sighed in defeat "I knew it was 1670-something, I heard you mention it at some point I'm certain Mr Gray."