- Chapter 10 -

Warm late-summer breezes tumbled into Katherine's room in Rosforte Castle, playfully lifting the airy curtains around the open windows and bed canopy. Katherine, sitting at her writing desk busily writing replies to those she befriended in London, dripped wax on a completed letter to seal it. Setting it aside with one other, she eagerly dipped her pen and started the next.

Dearest Eloise she began, I was so thrilled to receive your letter! I am glad you and your parents have arrived home safely. We can be thankful that your brother is to arrive home shortly as well, for I'm sure he is the only one who can keep your father off his leg until it is healed! Oh how I do miss you all!...

It wasn't far into her letter that Katherine paused, hearing the faint sound of hooves on gravel drift through the open windows. She carefully set down her pen and blew on the ink, before quickly moving to lean out the window and see who had come to call so early in the afternoon.

A single visitor trotted leisurely up the path on a white horse, too far away from her second-story window to recognize who it was; only that it was a gentleman.

He stopped his horse and hopped off gracefully, wrapping the reins loosely around one hand to lead it to a post. As he drew nearer to the castle he caught sight of her and lifted a hand

"Miss Wheaton! Good day!"

"Mr Gray!" She called out exuberantly, stretching out an arm to return his wave. "I'm on my way down!" She flew from her room and down the stairs, greeting him with a bright smile as he entered the main hall. "What a pleasant surprise! I was just writing your sister! How is the ride so far? Pleasant enough I hope?"

"Quite, thank you." He passed his hat and gloves to the footman.

"Will you be able to stay for tea? Though Miss Compton stayed in bed today with a headache so we would be very much alone...oh heavens!" Katherine mentally chided herself as she stuttered and blushed. She quickly added in embarrassed tones "I don't mean...that is...perhaps I shouldn't have asked."

Benedict Gray was unconcerned, and his mouth turned up in humor. "I'm sorry to hear of Lady Compton; and no need to fret so Miss Wheaton, I know what you meant. Unfortunately, I cannot stay long. I must be off again in a half hour at the latest. I confess I nearly didn't stop, for I aim to be home before dark; but after seeing so much of your lively character in London, I felt the past few weeks since you left quite empty, and I couldn't pass by when Rosforte is such a short detour." He smiled.

"Oh...well then...I.." Katherine faltered, feeling suddenly shy and unnatural. "I'm glad you did stop by. I love Miss Compton's company, but I find I too have been dearly missing my friends from Town."

There was an awkward moment of silence and Katherine fiddled uncomfortably with the fabric of her thin shawl. She glanced up to see him looking at her, his deep hazel eyes meeting hers. She quickly looked away. "Would you care to sit! The conservatory is beautiful today!"

He blinked, as if waking from a mild trance, then replied quickly, "Ah, Yes thank you."

Katherine led the way. "We have some lovely fruits ripening now, I especially love the strawberries, and cherries. I hadn't tried them before last month. Do you have any particular favorite?"

"I wouldn't say I have a favorite; although, perhaps, I am partial to the humble apple. We have a large orchard at Grandhill and often picnic under the trees. You and Baroness Compton must come this September when the apples are ready for harvest. A picnic is more fun with larger parties."

"Oh what a lovely prospect! I would be delighted, as would Miss Compton I'm sure! Apples are a favorite snack whenever I read."

"You read often?" Mr Gray seemed surprised "You acquired an education then?"