- Chapter 4 -

The sun rose with blazing ferocity Friday morning, heating the rooftops first thing. After her usual morning duties, and after Miss Compton had disappeared to the garden conservatory attached to the back of the castle, Katherine ironed and cleaned Saturday's ball gowns. She had chosen a simple creme chiffon for herself - hoping to blend in and avoid notice when the time came. Dread weighed on her. I must find something to take my attention from this ball nonsense she thought desperately I shall ask the Baroness her favorite flowers and have them gathered for her room! Superlative idea Kat! She commended herself; and hurried to find direction to the conservatory. Upon receiving said direction she arrived at her destination without difficulty and was immediately struck with immeasurable awe.

It was far larger than she imagined, with even a few trees reaching up towards the domed glass ceiling above. A small winding creek flowed lazily out of sight behind thick foliage; and beside it, for a short way, a cobblestone path slithered over the ground, randomly splitting and looping over itself around fountains and statues draped in vines. The colors were overwhelming! So many of the plants and flowers that caught her attention were obviously native to some exotic place, far, far from cold and rainy England.

Hot and humid though it was in this great glass cathedral, it was now, without question, Katherine's new favorite place. She passed a hand before her face as if waking from a trance, recalling her original purpose in coming, and went in search of her employer, who she eventually found chatting with a gardener. Kat waited close by, not wanting to interrupt.

"Katherine! Come!" The Baroness of Rosforte waved her over not a minute later "I was going to ring for you as soon as I was through here. Your timing is impeccable." Katherine came. "I have heard, from some dear friends of mine, that you are a close companion of their daughter Eliza. I'm perfectly flummoxed by how we didn't make the connection beforehand. In any case, I've invited her over for biscuits this afternoon - here in the conservatory - so, naturally, you are to join us as her friend."

"Oh thank you Miss Compton, I have missed her company terribly! What an exciting prospect! You really are most generous! You will be wanting to change into something suitable for company?"

The Baroness crinkled her nose "I suppose I should, but it is such a bother changing so often in a day! Let's not! No one will know but you and I!"

"And the gardener." Katherine laughed.

"Pish Tosh, he shan't tell. Come let us choose a place for tea!"

"I saw an enchanting little pond with cushioned seating nearby?"

"Ah yes! The butterfly pond, I know exactly where that is! Good taste my dear! What time is it?"

"It is just twenty minutes past three Miss Compton."

"What?? Then 'tis good you came to find me! Our Miss Ritewood is set to arrive at half past!"

Kat raised her brows "I will tell butler where to find us then, please make yourself comfortable m'lady!" She hurried to complete her task. A task, as it turned out, she needn't complete; for she met Lily as the butler let her through the front doors.

"Kat, hello!" Eliza stretched forth her hands to be clasped.

"Lily! Miss Compton is waiting for you, how lovely to see you; it's been weeks!"

"Well not quite weeks surely, but one at the very least." Her friend laughed as they locked arms and strolled to the conservatory.

"You've been to the conservatory before I assume, since you are friends with the Baroness?" Katherine sighed happily "It is quite possibly the most beautiful place I've ever seen!"