- Chapter 28 -

"Mr Routley has a splendid eye, and exemplary taste for a man." the elder Mrs Gray commented the day of the picnic.

"Why yes." Mrs Ritewood agreed, "The tents and tables are so beautifully decorated, and food and games so well thought out, one would almost believe he had a wife tucked away."

"Good gracious what a thought!" Mrs Wheaton reacted with a laugh and the other ladies chuckled as well. Katherine laughed with them, cleared her throat and sipped her tea politely. Mrs Overton, Routley's Aunt, cut in with a sniff.

"It is not so far-fetched for Brandon to have such good taste if one considers his upbringing. His mother raised him with the utmost refinement and propriety."

"Of course." Mrs Compton smiled politely "And he attended so many parties and events the last few years that he has no excuse not to know what is expected of one."

"He was sent to serve in his majesty's navy most of his youth was he not? From the age of eleven? And then at Oxford until two-and-twenty." Katherine commented. "Mrs Routley certainly used the few years she had with him well."

"Yes." was the stiff reply. "My sister was distraught when his father sent him off, but boys can learn much from the discipline and routine of the navy. It did not, however, dampen his appreciation of the more fine and respectable things in life that his mother impressed upon him in his youth."

"An admirable feat to be sure. I only hope I can make as deep an impression on my own children one day, as she has in her son."

"To inspire one's children is every mother's hope, Mrs Gray." Mrs Overton smiled sweetly. "But to do so would require you to first produce said children." Katherine said nothing as Mrs Overton tipped herself more tea, oblivious to (or ignoring) the disapproving looks many in the circle of women were stabbing her with. "One can never really understand the connection between a mother and son until one has a son of her own."

"No doubt." Katherine agreed quietly.

"Speaking of sons." Mrs Wheaton spoke up, changing the subject. "My Simon has recently declared a wish to travel and has begun to plan a trip that, by the looks of it, extends far into the south and east! Now then, what am I to do with him for I feel he is too young do take on such a quest but too old for me to forbid it!"

"Heavens!" "Gracious me!" Miss Gray and Miss Ritewood cried in unison.

"What a wild notion." commented Lady Overton, raising a sardonic brow.

"Why mama, when did this come about?" added a surprised Cecilia to whom Katherine replied. "He has been expressing the wish to do so for some time now; but I did not realize he was so serious."

"Well I see no harm in it." Lady Compton put in. "How I would have loved to do the same when I was his age. I feel it would be a very good thing for him to see the world."

"And develop a great deal of independence and self-governance I dare say." the Sr Mrs Gray put in. "Though as a mother I can understand your reluctance for letting him go."

"He won't venture through France, I hope?" Lady Overton asked in sudden alarm.

"It didn't look so." Mrs Wheaton developed a look of concern. "I believe he is headed directly south."

"I do not see any wisdom in letting him run off on such a mad adventure." Mrs Overton sniffed. "Very ill-advised; the east is full of barbaric sorts – thieves and pirates – and overrun with disease. I caution you, Mrs Weaton, to discourage him from this folly for his sake."

"He is nearly eighteen, Lady Overton, and a man of his own." Mrs Wheaton smiled. "I can hardly keep him safe at home forever, though I may wish to."